Erasing a user erases messages

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #169377 by userbk
Erasing a user erases messages was created by userbk
I just installed GroupJive 2.3 RC2.
First of all - wow. Amazing work!

I am having a serious issue.
I have users join a group - Works perfectly well
When I delete a user, it also deletes a comment or few from the wall. Not the user's who I just deleted either.

For example:
I am the owner of the group. I post a comment: "Hello".
I then invite a friend. He joins and posts "Hello Hello!"

I delete him from the member list and my comment is gone.

Also, I had another experience. I had three users on a group.
I had a post that user 1 replied to and so did user 2.
Above it user 1 added a comment by himself.

When I erased both users ALL comments were gone.

Any idea what causes it?

EDIT: This also happens when a user leaves the group. many messages get erased.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #169415 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Erasing a user erases messages
When a user is removed from a group all of their content is removed, this includes wall posts, videos, photos, etc.. I've added a feature ticket for next release to allow keeping of the users data upon group removal.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2641

As for other users data being removed. If you reply to a wall post and that wall post is deleted then your reply is too. Also if a user is deleted then so is all invites to and from that user regarding that group.

Please also note you're using RC2 when GJ 2.3 stable is available. I highly recommend upgrading.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 8 months ago #170563 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: Erasing a user erases messages
Very, very crucial!
Fortunately I found this thread. I am thinking of using GroupJive integration in CBsubs. Not tested yet, just exploring and reading the parameters. I wonder what happens, when users are removed from groups based on Plan expiration? is it the same user deletion? That would make the CBsubs param useless, in my humble opinion. User activities and posts should be kept alive... because the user is able to re-join the group... manually or by a CBsubs re-newal etc.

12 years 8 months ago #170573 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Erasing a user erases messages

is it the same user deletion?

Yes.

That would make the CBsubs param useless, in my humble opinion.

No really, it depends on your needs. For YOU it maybe useless, but others find it quite useful. At any rate it's not CBSubs fault; it's mine for implementing this to begin with into GJ. GJ is designed in my image (as any of my development is.. I won't be able to judge user reaction until release.. we're only on the 3rd release of 2.x), but is slowly changing with user feedback (e.g. this will be fixed with next release).

User activities and posts should be kept alive... because the user is able to re-join the group... manually or by a CBsubs re-newal etc.

They will be with next release, defaulted Disabled. You'll be able to simply Enable it and it'll keep data.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pepperstreet

12 years 8 months ago #170577 by userbk
Replied by userbk on topic Re: Erasing a user erases messages
K,
It's a GREAT plugin!
I would suggest allowing to enable the deletion instead of enabling keeping the info of a user that left the group, as most users, like me, would expect it to stay there. Just a thought. Another thought if you don't mind my feedback is - Why not integrate the photos and videos to be shared on the wall. You already have a great mechanism that uploads photos and embeds videos, why not have those as buttons under the comment on the wall? The truth is that since Facebook did it, people expect it to be like that. The problem with separating photos videos and wall posts is that it's hard to know the CONTEXT of an uploaded photo or embedded video. If it's under comments, you can know the reason it is there.
But again. I am amazed with your powerful programming, honestly. You do an amazing work. Keep it up, many of us bless your name every single day ;)
BK

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #170593 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: Erasing a user erases messages
@krileon
Raised your Karma on 500! ;-)

I agree, as always it depends of the usage and context. Both scenarios are very possible and crucial. Its also a different story, if it has something to do with a deletion of the complete user-account... In this case it is a sub-function on top of the users activity... and the user can change his mind many times... its a more dynamic join/un-join as far as groups are concerned. Really looking forward to have an option for both situations: keep or delete ! :-)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn