Theme uddeIM - CSS

8 years 7 months ago #268329 by jcarson7
Replied by jcarson7 on topic Theme uddeIM - CSS
I've added the !important to the tags and still nothing changes. I've cleared the cache as well and even gone to computers the site was not loaded onto yet to see and none of my edits seem to do anything. I can go through the multiple templates and there is an immediate change (say switching from noir to default) but for some reason edits within the CSS don't take effect. This is very puzzling since I've edited the CSS for my Joomla template successfully several times and those edits appear immediately.

One example is in the uddemodule.css, I've tried to change the hover value from red to #00abe9 for "Private Messages" with the below (I changed the head and body but it stays red no matter what:

#uddeim-module p.uddeim-module-head a:hover {
color: #00abe9 !important;
}
#uddeim-modulenew p.uddeim-module-body a:hover {
}

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #268330 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Theme uddeIM - CSS
With Firebug you can examine what happens and what CSS code is taken for a certain tag.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

8 years 7 months ago #268332 by jcarson7
Firebug shows this code and if I change it in Firebug, the link changes to the correct edit temporarily,

color: red;
}

I then go to the CSS and make this change
}

but the Private Messages stays red on hover even after clearing the cache and refreshing. It just doesn't make sense, logically everything should work.

8 years 7 months ago #268432 by jcarson7
Finally after weeks and weeks I have found a way to get the edits to take. If anyone can explain why this works I'd love to know!

I went to my FTP and I changed the noir directory to noir1 (I was going to make a copy) when I changed the name to noir1 and then went to the uddeIM backend and selected noir1, all the edits showed up! Why the edits didn't show prior to that, I have no idea.

Thank you very much slabbi for trying to help me on this!

8 years 7 months ago #269387 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Theme uddeIM - CSS - FTP edit remote files

jcarson7 wrote: Finally after weeks and weeks I have found a way to get the edits to take. If anyone can explain why this works I'd love to know!

I went to my FTP and I changed the noir directory to noir1 (I was going to make a copy) when I changed the name to noir1 and then went to the uddeIM backend and selected noir1, all the edits showed up! Why the edits didn't show prior to that, I have no idea.

Thank you very much slabbi for trying to help me on this!

Hello jcarson7,
I assume you were editing the css file via FTP?! Did you open it directly in an editor? Most likely this workflow and the file permissions are to blame here. As far as I remember, your editor downloads and works with a temporary file during edits... On final save it should actually replace the original on the remote server, obviously it did not.
I remember, I had similar issues from time to time, and I did not recognize that something went wrong. At least the editor did not throw any obvious error, nor notices. It "looked" like it saves the file on the FTP... but it simply did not. Instead the "temp" local file memorized and displayed my last edits, but they never reached the FTP! I believe, the editor did not receive the needed infos from the server or it could not handle the wrong permissions on the server. It seemed to ignore them, IMHO. Conclusion: If you make edits on remote files... ALWAYS check their owner/file permissions and check the modified date and actual content.

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn