unable to send PMs -- getting "Wrong security code" message

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #283034 by colhiogroup
I'm having strange issues with uddeIM, can anyone give me a fix or advice? Here's what's happening:

I was having issues with a phantom password requirement when trying to send PMs on my site -- there was a password box appearing just above the Send button, but I didn't see any option in the backend to enable/disable PM passwords. I was getting a "Wrong security code" error message when I clicked Send. I changed the encryption type from strong encryption to obfuscation, which was a partial fix -- since changing the encryption type, the password box has disappeared and I was able to send one PM, but it bounced back with this message: "Wrong password! - Please contact database administrator!" When I tried to send more PMs, the "Wrong security code" error message returned and I'm unable to send any PMs. I've tried sending PMs to different users, and from 1 to 10 minutes apart (my Timedelay is set at 30 seconds).

I'm using Joomla core user management, with Kunena for profiles.

Anybody else have this problem or any thoughts? Much appreciated, thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #283037 by slabbi
You have mixed encryption typed thats why you get the error message.

When enabling strong encryption the box (security code) allows the sender to enter a password. The recipient has to enter the same to read the message.

When enabling "obfuscating" uddeIM uses the code entered in the backend to obfuscate messages in the database and also uses this code also to de-obfuscate the messages.

When you switch the modes (or the obfuscating code) there is a mismatch and you get the error message.

Please check the FAQ. There is a comprehensive section about this feature.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

7 years 9 months ago #283467 by colhiogroup
Hi Slabbi, thanks for the info. I've read through the FAQ again and now I understand the different encryption methods better. Since I've switched from strong encryption to obfuscation (which is what the site needs), what do I need to do to get PMs working again? It's a development site still in testing, so if I need to delete anything, that's fine. I've tried changing security/antispam/permissions settings in Uddeim administration, the only thing that fixes the issue is completely disabling Captcha (reCaptcha was selected).

Also, the issue happened just after my server was updated to PHP7. I was using an older version of Uddeim (3.6) at the time, but updating to 3.9 did not resolve anything.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

7 years 9 months ago #283549 by slabbi
Please empty the "#__uddeim" table in your database. That fixes the problem.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer
The following user(s) said Thank You: colhiogroup

7 years 9 months ago #283674 by colhiogroup
That fixed it, thank you!

7 years 9 months ago #283735 by slabbi
Please check the FAQ document according message obfuscating and encryption.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn