CBSubs and paid/free downloads

11 years 3 weeks ago #223757 by WebJIVE
CBSubs and paid/free downloads was created by WebJIVE
Can CBSubs handle free and paid downloads (PDF's)? We have a site where non-members can add PDFs to their cart and for subscribed members, the PDFs are free downloads.

Thanks

Eric Caldwell
Web-JIVE.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 3 weeks ago #223764 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CBSubs and paid/free downloads
Not sure how you're doing the downloading, but if you're using DocMan like us then certainly. It all depends on how you handle the downloads. Typically you'd just protect the download category, the URL, or maybe use usergroups to protect its access then give that usergroup with a subscription.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 3 weeks ago #223768 by WebJIVE
Replied by WebJIVE on topic CBSubs and paid/free downloads
We're using a component called Documents Seller and we're just looking at ways to get rid of other addons to streamline the installed amount of components. I was reading the CBSubs and it seemed like you could sell downloadable goods? We funded the customization of Documents Seller so that paid membership would allow for free downloads and non-members would pay a per-download fee for the PDF. We embed the link above the readmore so that non-members could at least add the document to the cart and paid members got the same link but the download cost $0.

Just trying to think of a way to emulate this with CBSubs if there is a way?

Eric Caldwell
Web-JIVE.com

11 years 3 weeks ago #223770 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CBSubs and paid/free downloads
CBSubs isn't a download manager, so no it can't really do this. I guess you could use merchandise plans and email them the files as attachments like we do with our single purchase downloads, but I don't really recommend it. DocMan works very well with CBSubs so perhaps maybe review switching download extensions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 3 weeks ago #223774 by WebJIVE
Replied by WebJIVE on topic CBSubs and paid/free downloads
Thanks. We're looking at extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-commerce/shopping-cart/19687 this extension to simplify things for the subscribers. We'll probably have to fund the making it free for members but, this turns the actual articles into cart items which is way simpler for clients than trying to locate downloadable PDF's in a site with 50,000 articles. Thats the reason we have to keep this closely linked :)

Eric Caldwell
Web-JIVE.com

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn