Community Builder custom plugins and Joomla Update System

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #291711 by Digigreg
Hello,
I'm developing some custom plugins for CB, and I'd like to store also on the JED as on my website.
As the JED, from Jan 2017, has set as mandatory the Joomla Update System for all textensions published, there is a way to implement in CB dedicated plugins that updating system?
Or if now, can I in some ways enter automaticalli in DB table "#__update_sites" my daya, during the plugin installation process? Maybe using the "queries" tag?
I'm not albe to find a great new documentation for all the tags in xml file of of CB plugins.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #291716 by krileon
CB plugins can not update through Joomlas update system. It's also not mandatory, but your extension will show "This extension does NOT implement the Joomla! Update System" notice below its download button on JED.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 1 month ago #291721 by Digigreg
I'm sorry to reply but, as JED reports from last January it's mandatory for all new extensions:
Under the URL "extensions.joomla.org/support/knowledgebase/item/joomla-update-system-requirement/" is written what I'm saying.

New Listing Requirement: All extensions uploaded to JED after 10th January 2017 are required to use the Joomla Update System. This will help to ensure that site owners are always notified of when a new version of their installed extensions is available. Keeping extensions up to date can help to improve security.

Anyway I know and understand isn't possible for a CB plugin to be updated through Joomla update system, I just try to find a nice workaround for this. Something like to create a script to write on DB in the right table a new row to enter the address of update site for the CB plugin. Then of course, after the user is notified about the update, he should go manually to update the plugin through CB, but in this way the extension is listable on JED.
For this I was looking for some documentations to understand how to use the tags "quesies" and "database" in the xml files of CB plugins.

7 years 1 month ago #291724 by krileon
There should be no requirement for add-on specific extensions. CB plugins are installed, managed, and updated entirely through CB so I believe they are covered under the following exemption.

Add-ons are a special case of extensions managed by a parent extension. Addons are installed, managed and uninstalled with a Third-party Update System.

Since these particular type of extensions are published in JED but they can't be integrated with Joomla! Update System, they are exempted from the integration requirement. This exception includes extensions that are not installable via the Joomla Installer and are extension specific.

I recommend opening a support ticket with JED if they won't allow you to submit your plugin.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn