[SOLVED] Strange Password Being Mailed

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #305696 by MarlonFungai
[SOLVED] Strange Password Being Mailed was created by MarlonFungai
I am getting a very strange password being mailed to the user at registration the email reads like so;

"Welcome Rodney Tagwira,
Your application has been approved by our administration team.
Your account with the following details:
Email: marlonmurahwa@gmail.com
Name: Rodney Tagwira
Username: 0813782611
Password: $2y$10$ePh0nWIH58QwVXcP/UqO2.SYUYegNrqJM9v./unzhtsbN3/LF8DoS
has been activated.
We welcome you to our online community and trust that together
we will grow.
Enjoy the experience!
Kind Regards,
Website Administration Team

NOTE: This email was automatically generated from gonyeti.co.zw (gonyeti.co.zw)."

The password mentioned is not the password - the actual password is 9AkxAXW2SCae and the passwords are being auto-generated by CB. Installed is CB 2.1.6 - I can't upgrade as I am afraid of breaking a great many things - CB SUBS 4.2.0+build.2018.05.24.12.21.56.2189d3d00 and Almost all the other plugins available accept group jive related plugins, none of them act on the password though. I have an Auto Action that sends an SMS with the password and another that generates an email address for the case that user doesn't enter an email address at registration (emails are optional on this site) both are working as expected and the password SMSed is correct. I am stumped as to why CB would email in this manner. Any help would as always be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #305703 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Strange Password Being Mailed
Passwords become encrypted quickly during the registration process. They can only be sent as plain text in the Pending email within CB > Configuration > Registration, immediately after registration acting on onAfterUserRegistration and onAfterNewUser, after profile update if password was changed acting on onAfterUserUpdate and onAfterUpdateUser, and after login.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #305708 by MarlonFungai
Replied by MarlonFungai on topic Strange Password Being Mailed
Ok this is the default email after registration though wouldn't send that plain text I haven't touched the email settings or text and my users don't need to confirm their email addresses.

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #305718 by krileon
There's 2 registration emails. Pending and Welcome, which did you add the password substitution to? Are you using randomly generated passwords?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #305752 by MarlonFungai
Replied by MarlonFungai on topic Strange Password Being Mailed
Its the welcome email, yes I am using generated passwords and I haven't changed the email text its the default CB text.

5 years 9 months ago #305761 by krileon
Are you using email confirmation or approval? You're using the below default language strings?

Pending Email Subject: YOUR_REGISTRATION_IS_PENDING_APPROVAL_SUBJECT
Pending Email Body: YOUR_REGISTRATION_IS_PENDING_APPROVAL_MESSAGE

Welcome Email Subject: YOUR_REGISTRATION_IS_APPROVED_SUBJECT
Welcome Email Body: YOUR_REGISTRATION_IS_APPROVED_MESSAGE

Very strange. It should be adding the password only if the user is confirmed, approved, and using randomly generated passwords. So it should still be plaintext when either email is sent when using randomly generated passwords. Try disabling CB Auto Actions as maybe a configured auto action is causing problems.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarlonFungai

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn