[SOLVED] Problem: Row size too large

5 years 6 months ago #307225 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Problem: Row size too large
What MySQL version are you using? Sorry, I don't have much to suggest beyond what's already in the linked thread. I'm not database expert or server admin and you may want to consider contacting your host regarding your issue as it sounds like there's still a configuration problem (likely wrong file format). Recommend reading though the below for possible solutions.

dba.stackexchange.com/questions/6598/innodb-create-table-error-row-size-too-large

If configured correctly using the following then text columns should be small 20 byte pointers and easily be able to have hundreds of them without issue.

phpmyadmin settings:
Storage Engine: InnoDB
ROW_FORMAT: DYNAMIC

database settings:
innodb_large_prefix = 1
innodb_file_per_table = 1
innodb_file_format = Barracuda

Eventually we'll be completely redoing how fields are stored. Ideally we'll use a separate table that is just joined together with _comprofiler and in theory would allow for unlimited fields, but that won't be until at least CB 3.0.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #307231 by haasdijk
Replied by haasdijk on topic Problem: Row size too large
I'm using MariaDB 10.2.17, with settings as mentioned. I did ask my host to change the innodb_page_size to 64k. Maybe that helps.

Really looking forward to CB3.0 now :-)

Thanks,
Peter

5 years 6 months ago #307233 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Problem: Row size too large
MariaDB is not a supported database engine. So there's nothing more I can advise. It is not officially supported by Joomla and thus not supported by CB. We do not test on MariaDB either so you may or may not run into other issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 6 months ago #307239 by haasdijk
Nick,

this morning we replaced mariadb with mysql. I have been able to add a few fields. So it seems to work now with InnoDB_page_size still at 16.
Based on a tip from Tobius I have made the following changes in php.ini before (i didn't change them back):
max_input_nesting_level = 120
max_input_vars = 5000
memory_limit = 128M
Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, krileon

5 years 6 months ago #307413 by haasdijk
Hello all,

Replacing mariadb with mysql alone was not enough to do what we want. We now had more than 300 fields of which about 30 textarea fields. Initially it was possible to have these fields in the database but as soon as text was entered we received the 1118 error message again.
Reducing the number of textarea fields to six was not a solution. Even then we got the message when entering text in these fields.

A new mysql instance has now been installed with the following innodb parameters:
- innodb_page_size = 64k
- innodb_log_buffer_size = 32M
- innodb_buffer_pool_size = 512M

After that I entered as much as an A4 lorum ipsum text in all six textarea fields, without experiencing any problems until now.
Of course we will continue testing because it concerns a lot of sensitive information. That MUST be good. Hopefully we will not encounter any more problems because Community Builder is a very nice solution, also for this type of application.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, krileon

5 years 6 months ago #307417 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Problem: Row size too large
Thanks for posting back your progress/solution for others reading to benefit from.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn