How to disable the new private messaging feature

5 years 5 months ago #308293 by mikerotec

krileon wrote: You don't have to look up a User ID. The backend is for management. It's not meant to be used regularly for sending private messages. If you want to easily send private messages to a user from backend simply navigate to CB > User Management, select their checkbox, and click Private Message on the toolbar up top. You can even use this feature to send a private message to multiple users at once.

I was referring to this "MESSAGES" section included with the plugin:

If there had been any docs released with this feature, I might have thought to look in the User Management, but this panel was staring me in the face when I enabled the plugin... It's a big waste of my time when you release new features and I have to GUESS how it all works!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #308294 by mikerotec

krileon wrote: ...
I am unable to confirm such an issue. This works fine on our demo site and in my tests. Ensure the Private Message System plugin is public and published in CB > Plugin Management. Try disabling SEF to see if your issue persists.

Private Message System plugin is public and published in CB > Plugin Management.

And... disabling SEF does FIX THE ERROR ( a message window appears instead of the broken link ):woohoo:

So... why is this new feature breaking our SEF? (or vice-versa...)

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #308295 by mikerotec
Replied by mikerotec on topic How to disable the new private messaging feature

krileon wrote: ...

And - the main thing is, when I log in as that user, THERE IS NO INDICATION ANYWHERE of A MESSAGE WAITING.
No popup on login, and nothing even in the profile...

This is no different than if you were using UddeIM. Both the Workflows module and the Login module can indicate you've a new private message available. Review the parameters of both and configure as necessary. In addition to that there's the new icon shown at the top of a users profile to allow them to quickly access their private messages which will also indicate if they've a new message or not and is enabled by default. ...

Sorry, that's not what I am seeing here!
I have updated to latest available CB 2.2.1+build.2018.10.30.18.35.22.e80bd9678 and the latest Joomla! 3.9.0

I have disabled SEF (and disabling SEF breaks a ton of our URLs, which would be a very bad thing - as we have 20,000 users, and if you google our site name, it brings back 900,000 hits - don't want to mess with URLs already published!)

Anyway for the purposes of testing on our dev server , I have disabled SEF, and was able to (apparently??) send messages from admin to a user, and also user to admin (which we actually do not want to allow...). HOWEVER, despite what you have stated above, there is still no indication for either user or admin that a message was sent to them!

Here is the profile: where is the 'new icon' for messages?

OK! I dug through the login module settings, and after enabling a few things, I was able to get the little message notice to display there . Its not terribly useful for us, though, as that module is way down at the bottom of the page after login! (so invisible, unless the user scrolls all the way down).
I guess I need how to figure out how to implement a popup of some kind, conditional on new messages?

PS: we do not use any "workflows module"...

This is all a big puzzle without any clear and explicit documentation - I can only surmise that it won't really be 100% working until CB 2.3 is actually released? Documentation of all the various switches and settings would be very useful, I do hope you get it published the same day as the official release of 2.3
Attachments:

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #308307 by krileon

If there had been any docs released with this feature, I might have thought to look in the User Management, but this panel was staring me in the face when I enabled the plugin... It's a big waste of my time when you release new features and I have to GUESS how it all works!

There's no guessing. The validation for From already prevents anything more than digits. The validation for To could probably be improved, but at this time that page is reused by the mass messaging feature from CB > User Management so it can't validate only digits due to supporting a comma list when using mass messaging. Regardless both parameters directly ask for you to supply user id in their description. You're upset with me over something you've refused to read. If you won't read a description you assuredly won't read any documentation for it.

So... why is this new feature breaking our SEF? (or vice-versa...)

No idea, it works fine on our demo site with SEF and in my tests. It maybe associated with Joomlas language filter which alters URLs. Try disabling Joomlas language filter plugin in Extensions > Plugins then turn SEF back on and see if the issue persists.

Here is the profile: where is the 'new icon' for messages?

On your own profile on the far right of the menu bar where Edit is. If you disabled "Profile Icon" parameter within PMS > Parameters > Internal > Display > Messages; it's enabled by default. The alternative is you could have a fontawesome conflict; ensure you're using Fontawesome 4 if you've disabled CBs fontawesome otherwise ensure CBs is still loading in CB > Configuration > Integrations.

All of this you can test and see what to expect on our demo site directly, which is using defaults for the PMS plugin. Simply login as User. The new PMS notification is in the login module. Upon navigating to the users profile you'll see the new message icon on their CB menu. You can compare your configuration to the demo site as well (backend access is provided; see the Login As).

demo.cbdemosites.com/

I guess I need how to figure out how to implement a popup of some kind, conditional on new messages?

There is no popup feature. New message notification is shown in the CB Login Module and CB Workflows Module.

Documentation of all the various switches and settings would be very useful

The parameters already describe exactly what they do. We're not going to document parameter descriptions. Mouseover them and read them carefully. If any of them are unclear simply ask and we can clarify then improve them in a future release.

I do hope you get it published the same day as the official release of 2.3

There won't be documentation for this feature released same day as CB 2.3.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

5 years 5 months ago #308335 by mikerotec
Replied by mikerotec on topic How to disable the new private messaging feature
Yes, we have language filter ON, and we need to leave it on. All of our existing URLs have /en/

Can you program this feature to support that?

5 years 5 months ago #308337 by krileon
Does turning language filtering off resolve the issue? This wouldn't be an issue specific to that feature. It'd be a potential problem in our router being unable to determine what plugin you're trying to navigate to due to the URL being altered by Joomla. If disabling the language filter plugin resolves it then that'd certainly be a possible cause.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn