How to disable the new private messaging feature

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #308343 by mikerotec
Replied by mikerotec on topic How to disable the new private messaging feature
It's interesting...

I disabled language filter, and now PM sending works from the little envelope icon
(found in profile forum posts - link like /category-name?task=message.add&to=6371&tmpl=component&layout=modal )

But I still get a URL error (a little different from last time, as Joomla 404 page is catching it now!) if I am in the CB profile and use 'Send Private Message' from the "Messages" dropdown:
Error: 404 - Component not found.
/messages?task=new&recip=6371

I have some other urgent fires to put out today, but am going to try and pick this up again with a clean re-install of our DEV clone tomorrow

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #308351 by krileon

(found in profile forum posts - link like /category-name?task=message.add&to=6371&tmpl=component&layout=modal )

That's not a menu endpoint for Private Message System. If you want a Joomla menu item to PMS you need to create one with Community Builder > Plugin menutype as you would for any plugin menu item then set Plugin to Private Message System. I think that menu endpoint is for Joomlas backend messages or something 3rd party; not sure, sorry.

But I still get a URL error (a little different from last time, as Joomla 404 page is catching it now!) if I am in the CB profile and use 'Send Private Message' from the "Messages" dropdown:

That's to UddeIM. Are you sure Model is set to Internal within CB > Plugin Management > Private Message System?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

5 years 5 months ago #308357 by mikerotec

krileon wrote:

That's not a menu endpoint for Private Message System. If you want a Joomla menu item to PMS you need to create one with Community Builder > Plugin menutype as you would for any plugin menu item then set Plugin to Private Message System. I think that menu endpoint is for Joomlas backend messages or something 3rd party; not sure, sorry.

I guess our forum software (CjForum) is providing that. Anyway, it WORKS...

That's to UddeIM. Are you sure Model is set to Internal within CB > Plugin Management > Private Message System?

Yes, I did set it to Internal. But I just checked now, and it was set back to Udde(!!). Reset to Internal...
but I still get the error "Not Found
The requested URL /cb-profile/pluginclass/pms.mypmspro was not found on this server." (when messaging from dropdown from inside the CB profile)

That's with SEO on and System Language plugin OFF.

Trying again with SEO also turned off: "Message sent successfully!"

Also sends OK with the language filter ON and SEO off... Seems the Joomla SEO is killing it?
I believe our SEO settings are just the usual defaults - to my knowledge they haven't changed in the past five years.

Attachments:

5 years 5 months ago #308378 by krileon
Our demo site has Joomla SEF on where it works fine. It also works fine in my tests with SEF on. The only reason for it to error like that is if the plugin is attempting to be reached but it's not loaded. That typically only happens if the Access of the plugin can't be reached by the person or the plugin is unpublished. Are you using strictly Joomla SEF or do you have a 3rd party SEF extension also installed?

Try creating a Joomla menu item with menu type of Community Builder > Plugin then set Plugin to Private Message System. Then see if issue persists.

I don't know what more to suggest. I am unable to replicate any of your issues across multiple test installs. Please PM backend super administrator login credentials and can take a look.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

5 years 5 months ago #308419 by mikerotec
OK, making a new PM menu item seems to FIX it. :woohoo:
I forgot about that, when I looked in the hidden menu I saw that we used to have a menu item for uddeIM. (was made months ago...)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to set the "permissions" so that admin can PM users, and Users can reply back in a PM to admin - BUT users do not have the generic "message" tab (and blank message form) showing when they look at ANY OTHER USER...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the risk of sounding annoying - IMHO this is another splendid argument for releasing DOCS with any new feature (even if it's still in beta).
I certainly don't mind beta-testing stuff, but it becomes painful when I waste hours on something that could have been done in ten minutes had there been simple, concise explanation of how everything in the new feature relates across the various modules, plugins, menus, tabs, fields (&etc.)

And as a bonus, your diligent beta-testers can also improve the quality of the DOCS before general release ( a win-win for everybody, since better docs = better user satisfaction, and less developer time wasted on the support forums...)

"just Sayin'..."

5 years 5 months ago #308428 by krileon
Documentation wouldn't have solved your issue; only the first page and a half were configuration help and the rest has been some sort of conflict or bug, but I've no clue what's causing it. I'm still reviewing what could cause the routing code to fail to reach the plugin and am digging into CB at this point as it maybe an issue with the SEF rewrite not reversing correctly in CBs routing code.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to set the "permissions" so that admin can PM users, and Users can reply back in a PM to admin - BUT users do not have the generic "message" tab (and blank message form) showing when they look at ANY OTHER USER...

There is no create PM access controls. Any user can PM any user. I've already added a feature ticket however to allow setting a create view access level for PMs so you can limit who can create PMs.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7337

I understand you want documentation, but please understand I'm simply one person. Releasing documentation on the day of a feature means delaying the release of that feature often by a week and we've already established with our customer base they flat out do not want that. So you can either ignore the feature, ask on forums how to use it, or wait for the documentation. There's no issues asking on the forums because support is half of my purpose for being here and a big reason why people subscribe; consider it live documentation.

Nick is already planning to redo our CB Primer Book to be completely up to date. In addition to that I'm planning to bring our Quickstart packages back, which pre-configure everything for you.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec, paxx

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn