Auto Actions

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #314012 by 3cellhosting
Auto Actions was created by 3cellhosting
Hello guys,

I am struggling again.

I have viewed the tutorial for SQL Query plugin to ease registration for users. They simply select their Practice Name and each subsequent field provides a dropdown single select as per the USA example. It looks messy and relies on the user clicking on the data even if they are unsure of practice codes etc.

I thought perhaps the better method would be to use Auto Actions but after reviewing the 5 tutorials and numerous forum posts I am no closer to knowing how to do this.

Do I create simple text fields in registration and then use auto action as query? Do I use text field from auto actions or what?

I am lost and need some guidance please.

P.S. I have already created the table with the relevant fields and data.

Regards

David

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #314014 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Auto Actions
I've no idea what you're trying to do to suggest anything. Select their Practice Name? From what? Please be more specific as it just sounds like you need to show/hide some fields after selecting a value from a dropdown which is done via CB Conditional.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #314019 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Auto Actions
Hi Kyle,

I have a table that contains 8 fields - Practice Name (main field), Locality, Neighbourhood, Practice Code Number, Address1, Address2, Town, Postcode.

The staff at a Practice will know their Practice Name but we want to avoid errors in the other fields by using the master table to populate fields in their profile. Initially I looked at SQL Query Plugin but it relies on the user to click on the various dropdowns to save the data. As most staff will have no idea what their Practice Code Number is they may choose not to click on the option.

My next thought was to use Auto Actions as I had read some posts where your reply was that SQL Query is not really for adding data to fields. I cannot see from the examples how I should go about this.

I am already using the CB Conditional as one of the previous fields gave a selection of 4 primary work places. One is GP Practice and if this is selected the dropdown appears and shows the list of Practice Names to select from. At this point I was hoping to use the selected Practice Name to enable an sql query to look up the other 7 fields and populate them in the profile.

Does that make more sense?

Many thanks
David

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

4 years 7 months ago #314022 by krileon

At this point I was hoping to use the selected Practice Name to enable an sql query to look up the other 7 fields and populate them in the profile.

That's exactly what the Query fieldtype does. Sounds like you used a Query Select fieldtype instead which queries the databases to display the results as select options.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #314025 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Auto Actions
Hi Kyle,

OK - I have the dropdown and when I select the Practice Name I see the rotating arrow in the subsequent field but no value appears in the text field.

When I try to use the field as a query (not dropdown, radio or checkbox) nothing appears on the registration form. If I use a text field and put query in Query Tab I do get a displayed field, just empty.

The query I have used in the validation tab is...
SELECT `pcn` FROM `#__practices` WHERE `practice` = '[cb_practice]'

Do I need to add anything to Auto Complete tab?

This message contains confidential information

Many thanks

David

David

4 years 7 months ago #314030 by krileon
I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Why are you adding the query to a text or dropdown field? Query Validation is to validate the field being edited with a custom database query. Query Auto Complete is to provide value suggestions as the user types based off a custom database query. What you're needing is just a plain Query fieldtype that queries the database for information and displays it as a field.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds