PayPal Auto Renewal (Subscribe) Issue

3 years 8 months ago #319498 by AlexRag
PayPal Auto Renewal (Subscribe) Issue was created by AlexRag
I just discovered something interesting and problematic with users who opted to auto-renew their plan using PayPal last year. Firstly, PayPal had suspended the account so no transactions were permitted.

The PayPal account associated with accepting payments had been suspended which resulted in me disabling it as an option. However, it seems like PayPal still attempted to process auto-renewals. Due to the suspension, the payments did not go through.

But here is the issue - Even though payments were attempted, and as mentioned failed, CBSubs still marked the renewal as successful on the website! So user accounts ended up getting renewed but not paid for.

How did this happen? Was there something else that needed to be done to prevent this?

As it stands now, the number it affected is low.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #319509 by beat
Replied by beat on topic PayPal Auto Renewal (Subscribe) Issue
Please check the notifications that Paypal sent to your site regarding these payments in CBSubs / Notifications.
You can match the exact notification(s) that triggered the payment by going to CBSubs / Payments and in the corresponding erroneous payment line click on the number of notifications.

CBSubs will only consider payments notified with status "Completed", so this sounds more like a bug on paypal side ;-)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

3 years 8 months ago #319521 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic PayPal Auto Renewal (Subscribe) Issue
Thanks! I'll look into it a bit further. I admin I am not a fan of PayPal and their reporting tools are terrible to decipher having to click everywhere to dig up information. I'll see what I uncover.

3 years 8 months ago #319523 by beat
"CBSubs / Payments and in the corresponding erroneous payment line click on the number of notifications": It's in CBSubs admin area, not in Paypal ;-)

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

3 years 8 months ago #319525 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic PayPal Auto Renewal (Subscribe) Issue
Thanks! Yes I found that section - I was just trying to cross reference with what PayPal has.

Is there a matching ID# that I should look for on both CBSubs and PayPal to help match up items?

3 years 8 months ago #319527 by beat
Transaction numbers should match. But easiest is to match by date/time (taking in account timezones).

The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexRag

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn