Problem with group fields profile edit - require

3 years 6 months ago #320925 by ericmuc
Hi,

I have some group fields with required fields (that is necessary for date calculation for example). Not all group fields must be filled with data. In the profile view there can be an empty group field and with a placeholder the user can start to fill in first data.

Now I have a problem:

If the user goes to the profile edit and have not used some of these group fields, he cannot save for example the change of his name, because he MUST now fill in all required fields of the whole profile. Even of those group fields, where he don't want to fill in data.

My only idea is, to hide such tabs in the profile edit. But that is not a good way.

In my eyes a good way would be, that the user can save at profile edit without the need to fill in all required fields. Or the group fields has a placeholder also in the profile edit, so start and not shown with all fields of the first set in the profile edit.

At the moment I have this as a problem.

Do you have an idea to overcome this?

Thanks, best regards
Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #320934 by krileon

that the user can save at profile edit without the need to fill in all required fields

That completely contradicts the point of the fields being required. Set them to not be required.

Or the group fields has a placeholder also in the profile edit, so start and not shown with all fields of the first set in the profile edit.

That would just confuse the users as to what the field even does. There are no plans for this.

The best I can suggest for your required, but not required, use case is to use CB Conditional to show/hide the entire field group only when it's relevant. This would circumvent the required state while hidden.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn