SEF vs non-SEF? - Global Config Settings for New Site

2 years 9 months ago #325567 by marriage_minded_man
SEF vs non-SEF? - Global Config Settings for New Site was created by marriage_minded_man
After almost 10 years, I'm back to CB. And firstly, let me say, WOW, you guys have done an amazing job with the new developments. Everything looks amazing, right down to the new beard on Kyle (which I don't remember, but amazing nonetheless). Beat has remained young (or maybe it's an old avatar?). Keep up the great work.

I'm starting fresh with a new Joomla install and will be using many CB plugins/features. What are the best Global Config settings, specifically SEO Settings and SEF URL's that will accommodate a fully loaded CB website? I remember I used to have sporadic problems with SEF enabled and it's hard to change these settings once you get rolling. Is SEF worth enabling or has Google figured it out?

BTW, I've watched almost all of the Youtube Tutorials. Thank you Nick, this was a great baseline refresher. Would love to see more on CBSubs, e.g. Family Plans etc.

Thanks guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #325569 by krileon

After almost 10 years, I'm back to CB. And firstly, let me say, WOW, you guys have done an amazing job with the new developments.

Welcome back! Glad you like were CB is heading :) we've even more planned with CB 3.x being a complete modern rewrite of CB. The plan is to start CB 3.x development in parallel with CB 2.x once Joomla 4 has officially released.

Everything looks amazing, right down to the new beard on Kyle (which I don't remember, but amazing nonetheless).

:blush:

What are the best Global Config settings, specifically SEO Settings and SEF URL's that will accommodate a fully loaded CB website?

I recommend the following.

Search Engine Friendly URLs: Yes
Use URL Rewriting: Yes

Depending on the language of the site you may need to set the following as well.

Unicode Aliases: Yes

I remember I used to have sporadic problems with SEF enabled and it's hard to change these settings once you get rolling.

We've addressed SEF rewrite issues starting with release CB 2.0. Plugins can actually have their own rewrite rules and they do in plugins like CB GroupJive and a few others that need rewrite rules.

Is SEF worth enabling or has Google figured it out?

Google has figured it out, but you'll still be scored lower for a non-SEF URL. So it will hurt SEO if you use non-SEF. It's also easier for users themselves to remember/share SEF URLs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marriage_minded_man

2 years 9 months ago #325573 by marriage_minded_man
Replied by marriage_minded_man on topic SEF vs non-SEF? - Global Config Settings for New Site
YOU ARE THE BEST KYLE!!! Thank you.
Looking forward to all the great things you guys have planned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn