PMS: remove non-system messages from backend view

2 years 5 months ago #326709 by boyjahq
We see that this new function to remove non-system messages from backend view is incorporated into CB 2.6.3

Before we update, can you tell us if this is a parameter option or will there be no choice for back end view of user messages after the update?

On our site, we are regularly being asked to check message contents by our users, but not for complaint or reporting reasons. We have 2 types of users: volunteers from around the world and farmers who allow volunteers to stay at their farms in Japan. Often the volunteers are in places where they do not have reliable access to the internet so they text us asking for the content of a specific message. These messages usually contain the location, date and time that has been arranged for the volunteer to meet their farm host. Also we often get requests from the farmers (they are all Japanese) asking for translation assistance with messages that are not in Japanese. Other times there may be a dispute between members and, as part of our investigation into the dispute, we will review the history of messages exchanged between the two parties.

Will there be some way for us to continue to do this if we update to CB 2.6.3?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #326711 by krileon
This is a non-reversible change unless you want to modify the core code. It's to comply with many countries privacy laws, sorry. We cannot have CB breaking the law out of the box. You mention Japan which has the APPI similar to GDPR. What you're asking for would be a violation of APPI so I do not advise reversing this change.

As for your need to manage locations it'd be best to manage them outside of private messages. A directory of some sort would be best for such things.

On our site, we are regularly being asked to check message contents by our users, but not for complaint or reporting reasons.

They can report the message if they need it to be visible to moderation. It will send the message to a moderator. Reporting is a newly implemented feature. The reporting doesn't cause any negative impact on the message or the sender. It's just a means of getting direct consent to view a private message. You can adjust the language strings to change it so it doesn't seam like a negative report.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

2 years 5 months ago #326713 by boyjahq
But message contents will still be visible in phpMyAdmin?

2 years 5 months ago #326718 by krileon
Yes, the law doesn't require the database to be encrypted.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 5 months ago #326720 by boyjahq
Then, while it is extra work, we can create a form (using non-CB tools) that can basically replicate the viewing of messages from the backend.

2 years 5 months ago #326723 by krileon
By doing so you are breaking Japan privacy law. You are of course welcome to do as you please, but we can't be held liable for you doing that. I am highly against doing this. If you need a directory of addresses then create a directory of addresses instead of trying to communicate that information in private messages.

Ideally you could even create a Google maps list with all the locations you need to keep track of so you can easily share that information and even provide directions.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn