New Tax Challenge

2 years 4 months ago #327362 by bizguy
New Tax Challenge was created by bizguy
Scenario:
A national organization with local branches and members.
  • members live anywhere
  • taxes are calculated on branch location that member's belong to
  • in some cases, tax is based on national organization location
Solution attempt:
I had thought to manage this by placing the branch or national - state and country in the CBSubs state and country db fields using, an auto action, however when taxes are calc'd it still uses the member's address.

Suggestions?

Thanx,
Ed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #327368 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic New Tax Challenge
Tax geolocation is based off their invoice address and specifically the invoice address attached to the basket they're paying. Is that not working at all?

I'm guessing because they live outside the taxed area their invoice address would be different from their taxed address so you'd probably needing 2 different addresses for this situation then? I think you could do this by having 2 CB fields where on profile they can specify their tax geolocation or maybe even just a field to select their organization and branch then use that instead. Basically they can supply their country and state independent from their invoice address. Next you could create a negative promotion in CBSubs Promotions that's applied if that field has a value (use Conditions tab to check the field for a value and what the value is). You'd then apply the tax using the negative promotion (e.g. -3 percent discount would increase the price by 3%)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 4 months ago #327381 by bizguy
Replied by bizguy on topic New Tax Challenge
So does the invoice address get used in the tax calculation at all, or is that just for the printout receipt?

I am thinking:
  • tax address in the default address fields, hidden on profile. members select their tax source, so this can be maintained through an auto-action upon selection
  • customer address in a separate set of address fields, shown on profile
  • auto-action customer address into invoice fields post transaction

As there are 27 rules for calculating tax, I need the system to do it as opposed to a fixed rate.

Thoughts?

2 years 4 months ago #327382 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic New Tax Challenge

So does the invoice address get used in the tax calculation at all, or is that just for the printout receipt?

The invoice address is passed to the basket and that is then used for tax calculations. So yes it's used for tax calculations.

As there are 27 rules for calculating tax, I need the system to do it as opposed to a fixed rate.

I suggest they just set their invoice address to their tax address. If their tax is based off an organization then in theory their invoice address should be that of the organization. You could even change the language string so it's titled "Organization or Branch Address". Next configure your payment gateways to not pass the address to the gateway since it's not relevant for the payments. Your profile fields would then just be used exclusively for their personal address.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.017 seconds