Migrating CBSubs to J2.5

11 years 10 months ago #202333 by aamet
Migrating CBSubs to J2.5 was created by aamet
We're migrating a large user site using CBSubs from J1.5 to 2.5. The process to do this in general is not particularly an issue. In this instance the vehicle with be SPUpgrade which is much more reliable than JUpgrade. Versions of CB/CBSubs on both sites will be the latest.

My concern is related to CBsubs and Payal (or for that matter any payment gateway).

At one point I will have two sites coexisting (i.e. live and migration) with identical user data, CB Subs enabled, etc.. I know the license is floating and the licensing part is not an issue. The migration site will be installed as a subdomain/subfolder installation.

I intend to manually replicate all the CB and CBSubs tables across to the new site. There will inevitably be some significant testing of the site in general, which may take hrs or even 1-2 days. All other components of the site will have been tested prior to installing CBsubs and migrating user data, so testing is related specifically to CB/CBSubs.

What advice/steps do you propose to prevent the following (on the basis that the live site downtime is minimised and will therefore be live):

1) Any payment/email Events being triggered from the migration website, and/or Paypal particularly in relation to membership renewal anniversaries being reached (in this case quite a few DAILY).
2) Are there any CBsubs events triggered automatically (i.e. from the Joomla site end), which could therefore also emanate automatically from the migration site, confusing both the members (e.g. members receiving renewal emails from two installations) and also Paypal/IPN integration/double invoicing?

Alternately, to rephrase, what should be done on the migration site, once CB and CBSub are installed and fully populated with live data prior to testing which would prevent them from triggering or enacting LIVE events, such as email notifications, payment triggers, etc.. Is there a documented procedure for this? Any additional advise gratefully received.

At the end of the day the intention is to take the live site offline, re-migrate all CB and CBsubs data (to pick up all changes occurring since the testing phase), make new migration site live, then run some quick re-tests again before enabling new site to public online. this should result in a very short downtime for the live site. Obviously there will be backups backups more backups.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #202505 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Migrating CBSubs to J2.5

1) Any payment/email Events being triggered from the migration website, and/or Paypal particularly in relation to membership renewal anniversaries being reached (in this case quite a few DAILY).

I do not recommend migrating your users over until you've done your testing first with say 5 demo users. Do not move everyone over and make test payments as your migrated site may be flagged as your live site and your live site have its CBSubs disabled. You're allowed a developer site and a live site, but your developer site should not have excessive users.

2) Are there any CBsubs events triggered automatically (i.e. from the Joomla site end), which could therefore also emanate automatically from the migration site, confusing both the members (e.g. members receiving renewal emails from two installations) and also Paypal/IPN integration/double invoicing?

No, you've nothing to be worried about in this regards.

The 2 sites won't communicate with one another and you should be fine, but don't change your notification and return URLs in PayPal until you're absolutely done with the migration site or they'd callback to your migration site instead of your live site.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn