Should I Have A Free Level of Subscriptions?

6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #293399 by bins
I currently have all subscriptions to my site controlled by CB subs with access controlled by the Joomla ACL and not CB.

I have been wondering if this is the right thing to do?

Should non paying/free members just register and all of the premium/paid members be controlled by CBsubs?

The reason why I ask is, apart from workflows, that I want premium members who do not renew to fall back to free members but cannot work out how to do this on the plans!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #293409 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Should I Have A Free Level of Subscriptions?
ACL gives you the biggest control over a lot of content, but there's some things ACL can't cover. More specifically things like changing a field value, tracking affiliates, or controlling access to a URL or part of a URL. All of those CBSubs would have to control. I would, for ease of use, configure as much as possible to be ACL based.

Having a free plan is based entirely off what your needs are. If for example you want them to select from 1 of 3 plans (1 being free), all are set to exclusive, and you need to control access to content with the free plan (e.g. free users can see XYZ, but public users can not) then you may want to create a free plan to handle that scenario.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 11 months ago #293460 by bins
Thanks, it sort of reconfirms my own thoughts!

How do I set a subscription that lapses to go from a paid plan down to Free (or another plan?).

What I do not want is to create the user as a free/paid subscriber at the beginning which then unsubscribes paid (leaving free only), as I have different page access set for free & paid and I do not want paid to see some of the free?

I hope that makes sense!

6 years 11 months ago #293478 by krileon

How do I set a subscription that lapses to go from a paid plan down to Free (or another plan?).

You can't really enforce that unless the paid plans are child plans of the free plan. Currently you can not specify the fallback plan. CBSubs has basically an internal free lifetime plan (you'll see the radio for it in backend when editing a user), but you can't currently specify for it to fallback to a plan you've configured. Best way to enforce this is CB Auto Actions subscribing them to it when XYZ expires.

What I do not want is to create the user as a free/paid subscriber at the beginning which then unsubscribes paid (leaving free only), as I have different page access set for free & paid and I do not want paid to see some of the free?

Depends on how you're handling the access. If it's a usergroup that you promptly take away from the user when becoming paid you likely don't need a free plan.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 11 months ago #293531 by bins
Would there be any ramifications if I moved all of the paid plans under free membership?

I did see an old post which indicated that the invoice will show both free plan and the paid plan - is this correct?

6 years 11 months ago #293553 by krileon
It's not recommended to reparent plans with active subscriptions. If you are not using auto recurring it should be fine, but recurring subscriptions would likely break on renew.

I did see an old post which indicated that the invoice will show both free plan and the paid plan - is this correct?

Yes.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.038 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn