Tax rule question

6 years 2 months ago #302063 by mikerotec
Replied by mikerotec on topic Tax rule question
I don't quite follow the " since you are the seller " logic. We are always the seller. :dry: But when we made this test user, we explicitly spec'd them with a USA address. We do get dozens of USA payments a week and they never get billed the tax.

From here it looks like the payment processor unilaterally decided to charge Canadian tax to a US buyer, because the test user was located in Canada at the time (via Geo-IP?) and/or the credit card used for the purchase was a CAD credit card from a CAD bank. Just seems mysterious that you say if the tax in is the cart, then it was CB doing it... I don't see why CB would decide it was a "Canadian" buyer when they specified USA as their CB address when signing up. Or is there something else going on?

As for the default settings - see below...
This message contains confidential information
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #302091 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Tax rule question
The tax is based off the invoice address. It doesn't matter what your CB fields values are unless those have been mapped to the invoice address fields and even then it only maps once and not on every purchase. When viewing a basket review the invoice address values below it. If you don't see them then ensure invoice address is set to be at least optional within CBSubs > Settings > Invoices. My guess is the invoice address doesn't match your fields and is why they were charged tax.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 2 months ago #302095 by mikerotec
Replied by mikerotec on topic Tax rule question
Interesting! Invoice address has always been OFF on our system, but (aside from this one recent anomaly) all US Canadian clients get charged tax, and all US ones do not.

The Tax rate page says its depends on "billing" address, not "invoice" address:
"when a buyer billing addres is in a given Geographic Zone which has Tax Rate(s) assigned to a Tax Rule used by a Product Plan, the corresponding invoice item computes the corresponding tax that is added to the invoice."

6 years 2 months ago #302097 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Tax rule question
If you see the tax in the basket then it's based off their invoice address. If they have no invoice address it will likely bill them the default tax rule. Enable the invoice address and attempt to make a purchase then see if the tax shows. If it does change the invoice address as needed and see if tax still applied.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds