no success protecting /images folder

6 years 2 weeks ago #303552 by shawneo
no success protecting /images folder was created by shawneo
I have been trying to protect a specific area of my site for many weeks. Im feeling pretty discouraged that I can't figure out how to do this.
I really cant imagine im this dumb or that cbsubs is so complicate to not be able to protect the /images area of my site. I have tried everything and still not use. I have followed these instructions as given here:

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/238179-restrict-access?start=6#301663

Still it doesnt work for me as you can see, my setup is exactly how it should be under the file restrict tab. Yet it still accessible for guest to easily navigate to, as seen here:
www.gtmlive.com/images/charts/

That link should not be accessible to the public. Not sure how to accomplish this, but at this point I feel like this is the most difficult thing in the world. Should a ACL component like cbsubs be soooo difficult to restrict a url from access? or once again am I just missing something. Either way, Im not a newbie and this should be much more user friendly to get this done.

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated as Im very close to abandoning using cbsubs.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #303580 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic no success protecting /images folder
It's protected perfectly fine. I'm given an htaccess login dialog when trying to access that URL. htaccess login is cached by your browser. Once you login once you won't have to again until that cache is cleared (which maybe never depending on your browser) or the credentials change.

You're not trying to restrict a Joomla URL. You're trying to restrict a directory. It's entirely outside the control of Joomla and CBSubs. The only reason CBSubs is able to restrict it is because CBSubs Folder Access Protection generates htaccess login for the directory to block access. htaccess login usage is not user friendly.

It'd be significantly easier to just upload your files through CB Gallery and protect that gallery. You can do this by generating a custom gallery with a menu item of Community Builder > Plugin type then select CB Gallery for the Plugin. Next under the Gallery tab set the Asset to something custom like "charts" (without quotes). Now just use normal ACL to protect that menu item.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, shawneo

6 years 1 week ago #303717 by shawneo
Replied by shawneo on topic no success protecting /images folder
Thank you kyle im making some progress on this. Now as i am trying to upload my files through the front end it is giving me this error message:

Error
Failed to save Media Forex Signals-2 because: Type not specified!

Is this because the file type is not supported? Since my files Im upoloading are actually webpages coded in html and php and java should i just upload them via my cpanel to the plugin? if so where at?

Best regards,
Shawn

6 years 1 week ago #303734 by krileon
The file extension may not be supported by default. Within your menu item under the Files tab adjust "File Extensions" as needed to change what file types are allowed for that gallery. You can also adjust the allowed file extensions globally within CB > Plugin Management > CB Gallery > Parameters > Files > Validation.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shawneo

6 years 4 days ago #303930 by shawneo
Replied by shawneo on topic no success protecting /images folder

krileon wrote: The file extension may not be supported by default. Within your menu item under the Files tab adjust "File Extensions" as needed to change what file types are allowed for that gallery. You can also adjust the allowed file extensions globally within CB > Plugin Management > CB Gallery > Parameters > Files > Validation.

Hi Kyle, I changed both of these to allow all my file extensions. I am still getting the same error message when I try to upload media:

Failed to save Media ForexCharts7 because: Type not specified!

Not sure what to try now... ;(

6 years 4 days ago #303931 by krileon
What file extension are you trying to upload? Are File uploads even enabled for your gallery? If you're trying to upload raw php, html, or js files you should zip them first. Do not upload or allow upload of raw executable files. Your server may not even let you as it's a red flag for mod_security and since CB Gallery is unable to determine a filetype it's likely being blocked at the server level.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn