[#7172] Still problems with Reactivation of user plan

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #304833 by wjgadmin
Please refer to the following 2 threads we created.
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/277-cb-paid-subscriptions-support/238902-7099-stripe-update

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/277-cb-paid-subscriptions-support/239065-7134-promotions-not-applying-correctly

We are still having issues when a user reactivates their subscription. I provided a user a discount code to reactivate his plan, the discount code worked properly this time, however it charged the user twice and created another subscription again. So now the user has 2 subscriptions in Stripe for the same thing and the same price.
Now we will have to refund one of the payments, and cancel one of the subscriptions, and change the expiration date in cbsubs. Then we don't know if it will charge him at the correc time. Because it charged him twice, it set his expiration date out 2 months (monthly plan). So now when we cancel one subscription and change cbsubs expiration date, will it charge him next month like it should?

This has been a pretty large problem for us, can you guys please try to help us resolve this. It all has to do with when a user reactivates their plan, it should either create a new subscription & NOT redo the old one, OR redo the old one and NOT create a new subscription.
It should not do both.
Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #304836 by wjgadmin
Replied by wjgadmin on topic Still problems with Reactivation of user plan
I wanted to add to this because we had another user "Upgrade" from one plan to another. This seems to have worked as expected. In the Stripe dashboard, it cancelled the subscription and created a new one for that user.
So to isolate it down, it seems that it is related to the "Reactivation" of the same plan only, that I can see thus far. This has to have something to do with the period between failed/pending payment vs canceled completely, meaning if the user didn't cancel their subscription but their payment doesn't go through technically their subscription via Stripe is still active and being attempted up to 3 times etc.... So the user then has to "Reactivate" their subscription from our site which is creating a new subscription and paying the old one as well. I hope this helps!

I believe you guys implemented a fix for the upgrade, but if you can please look at the reactivation as well so this doesn't happen going forward.
Here to help in anyway. Thank you

UPDATE: better yet couldn’t you just always submit a cancellation of the previous subscription on Reactivate so a new one is created instead of two? Trying to help because this has already happened multiple times to us.

5 years 10 months ago #304862 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Still problems with Reactivation of user plan
Are the renewals after expiration or cancellation? Cancelling then renewing is causing absolutely no issues in my tests. Is this only when a coupon is being applied? Subscribing, cancelling, then subscribing again with a coupon also works perfectly fine in my tests. The only way I can see this happening is their credit card failed to be billed, the subscription went into retry mode at Stripe, and the user renewed manually from your site with a coupon generating a new plan which then updated their Customer payment source and caused the next retry on the previous subscription to be billed; I don't really see a way for us to workaround this beyond configuring Stripe to stop retrying. However, latest releases have implemented support for the failed payment notifications. Do you see any such notifications in CBSubs > Notifications? Are you sure CBSubs and CBSubs Stripe are both up to date?

I suggest just configuring Stripe to stop reattempting to collect payments. Navigate to Billing > Settings and set "Retry rules" to "Custom dunning rules" then set the first dropdown to "Stop trying to collect payment and…" and set "Then finally" to "cancel the subscription".

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #304878 by wjgadmin

krileon wrote: The only way I can see this happening is their credit card failed to be billed, the subscription went into retry mode at Stripe, and the user renewed manually from your site with a coupon generating a new plan which then updated their Customer payment source and caused the next retry on the previous subscription to be billed;

Yes this is the scenario that is occurring. However the coupon code should not create a new subscription because it’s the exact same price as the one that failed. So to Reactivate one would assume their subscription is being Reactivated and not creating a new one.

krileon wrote: I suggest just configuring Stripe to stop reattempting to collect payments. Navigate to Billing > Settings and set "Retry rules" to "Custom dunning rules" then set the first dropdown to "Stop trying to collect payment and…" and set "Then finally" to "cancel the subscription".

I understand what you mean however as you’ve u can imagine, this is not an optimal way to do it for the obvious reason.

I think I have a solution? Could you add the code that says when the above scenario occurs, IF the price is the same it cancels the previous subscription and creates a new one? This should alleviate stripe from continuing to retry correct?
Thank you

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #304893 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Still problems with Reactivation of user plan

I understand what you mean however as you’ve u can imagine, this is not an optimal way to do it for the obvious reason.

It's going to be your only solution for the time being and highly recommend using it until we can explore finding a potential fix for this issue. Since CBSubs doesn't have a means of updating cards on file this won't make any difference to the enduser as far as they're concerned. As we now know exactly what triggers this have added a bug ticket with these details to review investigating and fixing in a later release.

I think I have a solution? Could you add the code that says when the above scenario occurs, IF the price is the same it cancels the previous subscription and creates a new one? This should alleviate stripe from continuing to retry correct?

It is far from being that simple. Stripe doesn't provide a means for me to test this scenario so I could never see if such code would even work.

A failed payment IPN shouldn't reached your site to cancel the subscription at CBSubs and at Stripe. Was that not the case for you? Do you have a failed payment notification in CBSubs > Notifications? Are you using Webhooks at all within your Stripe gateway and account? Is CBSubs and CBSubs Stripe completely up to date as this was a recent addition.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #304913 by wjgadmin

krileon wrote: Was that not the case for you? Do you have a failed payment notification in CBSubs > Notifications?

That is correct, I do not see any failed IPN's from Stripe. I do see some from PayPal (subscr_failed), not sure if you need that but thought I'd share anyway.

krileon wrote: Are you using Webhooks at all within your Stripe gateway and account?

Yes they are active in both.

krileon wrote: Is CBSubs and CBSubs Stripe completely up to date as this was a recent addition.

Yes, it has been updated after the fix you're referring to.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn