User's can't login

17 years 8 months ago #17600 by slinden
Replied by slinden on topic Re:User's can't login
This is really annoying. I can log in without problems on both my computers with both IE 6 as FF, but a lot of my users cannot. Could it be a security setting in the browsers?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 8 months ago #17619 by jlawrence70
Replied by jlawrence70 on topic Re:User's can't login
I had the same "users can't log in" problem. I have a workaround. I posted about it here: forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=50984

Sorry for the short post--I'm late for work, lol.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by: jlawrence70, at: 2006/07/25 16:27

***UPDATE:

Ok, I felt the need to explain a little further now that I have some time. The problem with the users not being able to log in properly (getting dropped back at the main page as though nothing happened) has to do with the way Joomla isn't properly handling URLs. Basically, the "www." in most URLs is just a convention. This was done in the early days of the web as we know it (circa early 90's) to differentiate a webserver from an ftp server from an smtp server and so on. It's largely irrelevant now, because our browsers have gotten entirely smarter. People are still warm and fuzzy over it, though, and it's still used. The issue comes into play with Joomla in that it stores the "Live Site" name (at least on my server--look in Global Config->Server) as sitename.com . If a request comes in as anything other than that "Live Site" name, Joomla pukes and you get the aforementioned strange behavior. The workaround is to set a redirect in your HTTP server software (mine is Apache as is the vast majority of the rest of the known universe) that will always rewrite incoming requests to match what's in your Global Conf. Follow the link above for an example of the workaround for Apache (sorry M$ users).

Post edited by: jlawrence70, at: 2006/07/26 00:42

17 years 8 months ago #17621 by andyjh122
Replied by andyjh122 on topic Re:User's can't login
i think i started this post, not sure...

i think this is a fix, doesn't make sense but it seems to work, but i haven't tested it thoroughly enough to know for sure...

someone suggested that the "remember me" button has something to do with it and disabling that fixes the problem, and I believe it does.

I need that button, so after disabling it, i re-enabled it, and it seems like the problem is fixed...

but of course fixing the problem by just toggling that setting doesn't make any sense to me...

maybe someone can do some more testing...

FWIW...

:)

Andrew

17 years 8 months ago #17671 by slinden
Replied by slinden on topic Re:User's can't login
Hmm, it could be an url redirecting. However, it worked fine on 1.0.8 and 1.0.9. Only after upgrading to 1.0.10 the error occured.
Will try the 'remember me' checkbox though.

17 years 8 months ago #17682 by rafadaddy
Replied by rafadaddy on topic Re:User's can't login
I tried several things and nothing works. I think the installation is also corrupted somehow. In my case I found some directories where I can not change the permissions. I started to have problems with other components.

I decided to start all over again and today, with the same configuration, the site is working fine. I'm sorry do not offer a nice solution but if you can start from zero, do it .:blush:

17 years 7 months ago #18226 by andyjh122
Replied by andyjh122 on topic Re:User's can't login
Anyone find a solution to this problem?

I'm still having the problem, it's not a redirect thing, and it has nothing to do with the "remember me" checkbox, or the polls.

using Joomla 1.0.10

Php 5.1.2

HELP! :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn