more control over profile layout

17 years 6 months ago #22900 by fire
more control over profile layout was created by fire
Hi there,

currently, the profile layout is pretty flexible.. I can move plugins around etc, but
it would be much better if the layout was left up to the developer... kinda like the joomla template system...

I need total control over the profile page for it to be useful on my site..

is this in the agenda?

Using CB 1.2 RC2 - EnglishVillage.Asia
- Programmer, Teacher, Consultant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #23312 by cosmicfantasia
Replied by cosmicfantasia on topic Re:more control over profile layout
This would be cool. Tabs aren't really the best place to put everything.

You get my vote...

Cosmic... :)

17 years 5 months ago #23395 by cosmicfantasia
Replied by cosmicfantasia on topic Re:more control over profile layout
The more I think about this the more it would be great to see included. Like it or not MySpace is now what has to be eaten in online communities. I can't see too many features which Community Builder and Joomla can't do, but the layout *user experience) has a bit to be desired.

It would be also ultra cool to have the option to allow users to add css to their profiles like MySpace to customize their profiles...

:)

17 years 5 months ago #23396 by fire
Replied by fire on topic Re:more control over profile layout
I took a look at the code of community builder, and it looks pretty littered with html and php together...

so im not sure how easy it would be to convert it to a user templateable system.

What I'd like to see is fulkl developer control -

currently in Joomla for example, I can make my own template, and put something like <?php mosLoadModules('left', -2); ?>

then all the modules placed in the "left" get loaded...

I really hope community builder would follow the same design idea... would make CB so more useful...

is this a possibility?

17 years 5 months ago #23397 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:more control over profile layout
One could make a plugin for this with the following logic:

1) make a wrapper function drawField(fieldname) which calls for CB field drawing function.
2) create a template file (similar to joomla templates) which include calls to this function to draw the fields
3) in the get###Tab functions of the plugin, initiate all varibles required by the drawField function and then include the template file
4) at the end of the get###Tab functions set fields parameter in the tab variable to false to prevent CB redrawing the the fields.
5) unpublish all plugins and publish this plugin to position main, and you have CB which supports joomla style templating.

For even more advanced template, you can make a plugin whicch besided individual fields, can call other tabs. (See for example consolidatedtab plugin as an example for createing tabs within tabs)

Including custom css in the beginning of the user profile has been discussed in many other threads.

-Mikko

17 years 5 months ago #23401 by fire
Replied by fire on topic Re:more control over profile layout
hmm, sounds like you know what you are doing Mikko, thanks for your reply.

Do you do any work on joomlancers.com as a freelancer?

I have a userprofile mockup done in photoshop, but I wanna implement it using the CB system... if I was to send this too you, could you have a quick look at it and tell me if it would be doable with your method?

Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn