more control over profile layout

17 years 3 months ago #28536 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:more control over profile layout
For your information: We are working on CB 1.1, which will include, among other things, a little bit more flexibility in user profiles display and UI (following a customer-request).

If you wish particular features and have corresponding budget for professional services, you are welcome to PMS or email me via contacts-form your feature-requests for a quotation. Result could go into CB 1.1 or 1.2, instead of being a difficult to maintain private version.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #28538 by KurtSteiner
Replied by KurtSteiner on topic Re:more control over profile layout
hello beat,
what features will be included in the next two versions and
(ROADMAP???)

what features do you think we could push with a little budged?

sunny regards from Germany

BERND (Kurt Steiner)

17 years 3 months ago #28545 by fire
Replied by fire on topic Re:more control over profile layout
Hi Beat, Thanks for your responses.

When would this next version be released? Also, you wrote that in the next version there would be "a little bit more flexibility in user profiles display and UI (following a customer-request)."

Can you be more specific?

Will it be modeled like a joomla template, where the designer can exactly specify which CB module goes where?

Thanks

Using CB 1.2 RC2 - EnglishVillage.Asia
- Programmer, Teacher, Consultant

17 years 3 months ago #28565 by beat
It will not include full templating yet, as we are waiting for Joomla 1.5 MVC templating model and support for components to stabilize (it's still a moving target, but getting really good) before implementing something like that without reinventing the wheel, as it's a major refactoring.

But CB 1.1 will include the possibility to display field values anywhere in profile descriptions text, similar as in welcome emails, as well as status values, and even links/buttons instead of menu system for menu actions, and also possibility for each field to display in 2 columns like now, or in 2 lines stretching over the 2 columns (one line for field name and 1 line for field value).

We need to update our little roadmap before making it public... and right now i'm working on paid subscriptions plugin mainly and cb 1.1 also.

CB 1.0.2 core and CB templates CSS allows you to specify already quite a lot of tabs placement options without any core hacking, and is very much under-utilized, as unfortunately its power is not well understood.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 3 months ago #29048 by cosmicfantasia
Replied by cosmicfantasia on topic Re:more control over profile layout
Hi Beat and others,

The customizable options you are adding to 1.1 are great. But I really think what people are looking for is to have the option to lose the tabs and display the output of any plugin/module in a customized layout on the page.

Instead of PMing you with what I think would be a good addition for customizable layout, I thought it should be best to post it here and see if it is possible to get some kind of consensus. If we can get some sort of consensus, then perhaps it would be possible for use all to chip and pay to get it included sooner rather than later. And as Beat says have it part of the project instead of separate.

Here is my idea. Look forward to people to add their 2 cents and hopefully get some kind of consensus.

When you create lists you choose how many columns and then what fields are displayed in those columns. I thought that you could use this approach the customize layout of plugins without tabs.

ie. you could choose to create your profile layout to have 2 columns. then you could choose to display plugin 1, 2 and 3 sequentially in the first column and then plugin 4 and 5 in column 2. Or any other layout with however many columns or plugins associated with those columns that you want.

What do you think?

Cosmic... :)

Post edited by: cosmicfantasia, at: 2007/01/15 08:52

17 years 3 months ago #29051 by beat
cosmicfantasia wrote:

Hi Beat and others,

Instead of PMing you with what I think would be a good addition for customizable layout, I thought it should be best to post it here and see if it is possible to get some kind of consensus. If we can get some sort of consensus, then perhaps it would be possible for use all to chip and pay to get it included sooner rather than later. And as Beat says have it part of the project instead of separate.

- no problems at all with public discussions (i even prefer them), I offered PM contact only for efficiency reason if you had a project and budget. ;)

ie. you could choose to create your profile layout to have 2 columns. then you could choose to display plugin 1, 2 and 3 sequentially in the first column and then plugin 4 and 5 in column 2. Or any other layout with however many columns or plugins associated with those columns that you want.

What do you think?

- I think that actually, CB 1.0.2 allows you already to do what you want: to have 1, 2 and up to 3 columns, and to choose which "tab" gets where. :)

- study the tabs parameters: position and display style ;), as well as profile settings in global configuration... you can even have pop-up windows for tabs B)

- of course you can't do everything, but much much more than the default profile shaping. ;)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn