Limited profile for guests.

17 years 4 months ago #26615 by Switch
Limited profile for guests. was created by Switch
I want to encourage people to become members, so I disallow guests seeing profiles. But I was thinking it would be nice that instead of completely blocking profiles, it would show a limited amount, such as the name and avatar.

Does anybody else think this is a good idea? Worth suggesting at the forge?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #26635 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Limited profile for guests.
Switch wrote:

I want to encourage people to become members, so I disallow guests seeing profiles. But I was thinking it would be nice that instead of completely blocking profiles, it would show a limited amount, such as the name and avatar.

Does anybody else think this is a good idea? Worth suggesting at the forge?

You can create a public list with this information and still keep the profile off limits.

16 years 1 week ago #60928 by NateM
Replied by NateM on topic Re:Limited profile for guests.
One of the problems with a list though is that everything links back to their profiles. So it would be nice to have something simple, like the original guest mentioned, and then say. "This is [username]'s limited profile. In order to see the full profile, please [link]register[/link], or something like that.

Or, even better, would be allowing users to set which fields are publicly viewable, which are limited to registered members, and which are only allowed to connections and/or moderators.

16 years 1 week ago #60985 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:Limited profile for guests.
Maybe I'm not understanding, but profile tabs can be set for registered or public etc. So whatever you don't want guests to see, set as registered.

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

16 years 1 week ago #60995 by NateM
Replied by NateM on topic Re:Limited profile for guests.
Allow users to choose what they want available or not available to the public, (and maybe have some special info that is only available to their friends/connections), is my meaning.

The reason for that is that people have different reasons for using their profile. Some want it to be mostly for friends, some want it to serve as a kind of "Home Page" for them.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn