Special features for CB 1.2

15 years 9 months ago #67406 by pele
Special features for CB 1.2 was created by pele
Congratulations to the whole CB team for their outstanding work!
Regarding CB 1.2 I have four special questions:

1) Different User Fields and Profiles
I have seen already the APC application of mikkosoft and have read about the options of different plans in the paid subscription plugin which will be released. But with CB 1.2 I am planning to run a community with at least 2 different user types (normal and special) which have different fields (eg. no birthday for special) and different data in profiles.
So my question is what you as expert advise me to do. Should I hack the core code and develop different forms, which are storing all data in one table (different data will get selected for different profile types) or will it be possible to do that with the paid subs plugin?

2) Integration of a Country/Region Field
I have 2 database tables (one with all countries and one with regions for every country). I have to include it via 2 dropdowns (AJAX for automatical region selection in the second dropdown) into the register form. Is it necessary to write a plugin therefore or should it be done directly in the core code? What is the best approach for it from an exptert's view?

3) User List Drop Down
Finally if i create different user lists I will get a drop down to select them in the front end. Is there a function to deactivate that drop down or do I have to do it manually?
Because I want to directly address the different lists via the standard user menu with different text links. Think I have to select "external links" and write them manually, because in the menu selector of Joomla there is only one selectable "userlist menu link" for community builder, isn't it?

4) Hidden Fields
Is it possible to create a field which can only seen by the Admins and not by the user. Only have found the option “user read only” which doesn’t allow a user to edit the field but he can still see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #67407 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Special features for CB 1.2
pele wrote:

Congratulations to the whole CB team for their outstanding work!
Regarding CB 1.2 I have four special questions:

1) Different User Fields and Profiles
I have seen already the APC application of mikkosoft and have read about the options of different plans in the paid subscription plugin which will be released. But with CB 1.2 I am planning to run a community with at least 2 different user types (normal and special) which have different fields (eg. no birthday for special) and different data in profiles.
So my question is what you as expert advise me to do. Should I hack the core code and develop different forms, which are storing all data in one table (different data will get selected for different profile types) or will it be possible to do that with the paid subs plugin?

2) Integration of a Country/Region Field
I have 2 database tables (one with all countries and one with regions for every country). I have to include it via 2 dropdowns (AJAX for automatical region selection in the second dropdown) into the register form. Is it necessary to write a plugin therefore or should it be done directly in the core code? What is the best approach for it from an exptert's view?

3) User List Drop Down
Finally if i create different user lists I will get a drop down to select them in the front end. Is there a function to deactivate that drop down or do I have to do it manually?
Because I want to directly address the different lists via the standard user menu with different text links. Think I have to select "external links" and write them manually, because in the menu selector of Joomla there is only one selectable "userlist menu link" for community builder, isn't it?

4) Hidden Fields
Is it possible to create a field which can only seen by the Admins and not by the user. Only have found the option “user read only” which doesn’t allow a user to edit the field but he can still see it.

1) upcoming paid subs plugin supports different fields for registration depending on plan selected. But not yet on user profile.

2) a fields plugin could handle that. No need to hack core.

3) yup. You need to change the comprofiler.html.php userslist function. it's well commented

3b) no. in 1.5 you can specify list id in menu for CB lists as param.

4) just create a specific tab and set access-level to admins.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 9 months ago #67409 by pele
Replied by pele on topic Re:Special features for CB 1.2
beat wrote:

1) upcoming paid subs plugin supports different fields for registration depending on plan selected. But not yet on user profile.

2) a fields plugin could handle that. No need to hack core.

3) yup. You need to change the comprofiler.html.php userslist function. it's well commented

3b) no. in 1.5 you can specify list id in menu for CB lists as param.

4) just create a specific tab and set access-level to admins.

Thanks beat, 3 and 4 are clear now!

ad 1) Does it mean that different plans have different registration form fields but in the profiles there will be the same fields for every user type? Or is it possible to show all fields of all different registration forms in the profile regarding if they are empty or not? Perhaps you can give me a short example.

ad 2) Is there an example or tutorial for a field plugin? Only found the following entry:
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,50/id,65236/#65236

15 years 9 months ago #67579 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Special features for CB 1.2
pele wrote:

Thanks beat, 3 and 4 are clear now!

ad 1) Does it mean that different plans have different registration form fields but in the profiles there will be the same fields for every user type?

yes

Or is it possible to show all fields of all different registration forms in the profile regarding if they are empty or not? Perhaps you can give me a short example.

yes, just CB global setting "don't show empty fields" for profile view.

However, in profile edit, all fields will be there (status as of now).

ad 2) Is there an example or tutorial for a field plugin?

Unfortunately, not yet, we hope to have examples as soon as 1.2 stable is released, and will also work on API documentation once all is updated to 1.2...

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn