Turning off default value

15 years 8 months ago #71270 by LisaAlecxih
Turning off default value was created by LisaAlecxih
When I first created one of the fields required at registration, I had used a default value (yes). Now we would like to still require the field, but have the registrant actively choose which of two choices on a single choice drop down (yes or no). I am unable to undo the default value and return to a blank as the default choice. While I could create a blank entry value, this registers as having completed the required field and thus would not trigger the notice to the user to select an option if they did not change it.

I am running RC2 on Mambo 4.6.5.

Does this make sense?

Anyone else have this issue and figured out a work around?

Post edited by: LisaAlecxih, at: 2008/08/14 18:26

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #71303 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Turning off default value
This is working as it should (Beat explained this to me a while back). The field type affects the database values and must be changed manually, which is more involved than just deleting the old value and adding the new... of course then you lose any previous entries. :(

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

15 years 8 months ago #71311 by LisaAlecxih
Replied by LisaAlecxih on topic Re:Turning off default value
Just so I understand. There is not a way to change from a default value to no default value in a drop down field without essentially recreating the field and losing all the existing data registrants had entered.

This is not something that could be accomplished through the SQL databases in the website backend (not Mambo backend)?

15 years 8 months ago #71321 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Turning off default value
LisaAlecxih wrote:

Just so I understand. There is not a way to change from a default value to no default value in a drop down field without essentially recreating the field and losing all the existing data registrants had entered.

This is not something that could be accomplished through the SQL databases in the website backend (not Mambo backend)?

You could change the column default value setting using phpmyadmin - but backup first!

15 years 3 months ago #85959 by indiobestia
Replied by indiobestia on topic Re:Turning off default value
That makes complete sense for me, have you found a way to fix it? I need for the people that registers in my site to choose a state (or province in my case) form a drop down list, I would like the default value to be something like "choose one" and if they don't choose one the registration won't let them finish and shows where the error is.

Please, if you were able to fix it or work around... help me.

Thanks,

Pablo

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn