Community Builder 2.0 beta 3 released !

9 years 11 months ago #243398 by nant
The following user(s) said Thank You: pepperstreet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #243413 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Community Builder 2.0 beta 3 released !
Many thanks to Kyle for his great development work on Community Builder 2.0 and to Nick for the ideas, internal feedbacks, tests and work on all other aspects that allow Kyle and myself to work on the code. I'm really happy how this long-worked-on and long-awaited release is becoming reality now.

With Pro members now entering too into the feedbacks-loop, we are looking to make CB 2.0 RC and then stable a rock-solid, extra-smooth to upgrade and powerful release.

Remember: CB 2.0 BETA releases are for development, test and feedback purposes, not for production/live sites. But with your hosting control panel or with Akeeba Backup, it's really easy to clone a live site, and to upgrade it to CB 2.0 BETA for a test-drive.

It's feedbacks-time! Happy testing, Pro and Dev members!

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, pepperstreet

9 years 11 months ago #243443 by dotcom22
Replied by dotcom22 on topic Community Builder 2.0 beta 3 released !
great news and as Professional member I will give it a try. In fact I must start a new project right now and I would prefer use directly CB 2.0 even in beta. For example I seen is possible to copy fields with CB 2.0 and I must create a bunch of fields, so this can be very useful for me.

I hope you will stabilize soon this new version and not spend again too much time to add new features. Kyle told me recently he must also make compatible all plugins and this is too bad. Personally I will need especially CBsubs, Auto-Action and Conditional. Kyle suggested me to start with CB 1.9.1 but this is a bit annoying in my case. The time I will need to upgrade, learn the new UI and re-organize everything will be probably the same than what I'm supposed to wait before get stable CB and plugins.

I use Joomla 3.3.6 - CB 2.0.4 - CBSubs 4 - Several Incubator plugins

9 years 11 months ago #243465 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Community Builder 2.0 beta 3 released !

dotcom22 wrote: great news and as Professional member I will give it a try. In fact I must start a new project right now and I would prefer use directly CB 2.0 even in beta. For example I seen is possible to copy fields with CB 2.0 and I must create a bunch of fields, so this can be very useful for me.

Glad you are happy with progress.
There are many such features in CB 2.0 basically gotten for free based on XML rewrite.

I hope you will stabilize soon this new version and not spend again too much time to add new features.

This depends also on you.
As a Professional member you have access to CB 2.0 beta 3.
One of the reasons we have given Pro members access is exactly to help identify issues so we can stabilize asap.

The more usage coverage and feedback we get from testers the faster we reach stability.

So this is your chance to help and contribute.

Kyle told me recently he must also make compatible all plugins and this is too bad.

Yes, CB plugins must be updated to align with updated API and version checker (very important and asked for feature).

Personally I will need especially CBsubs, Auto-Action and Conditional. Kyle suggested me to start with CB 1.9.1 but this is a bit annoying in my case. The time I will need to upgrade, learn the new UI and re-organize everything will be probably the same than what I'm supposed to wait before get stable CB and plugins.

Well CB 2.0 BETA versions are not for live / production sites - that much has been emphasized many times.

Here is the risk you face by using CB 2.0 BETA on your new under development projects.
There is the risk (might be small but still exists) that the next BETA or RC is not a clean upgrade from the previous one. Each beta is designed to work on new install or upgraded CB 1.9.1 install - there are no guarantees (means we do not design or test) that a beta X release can be installed as an upgrade to a beta X-1 release.

Hope this is clear and hope you can test and give feedback so we can reach stability quickly.

9 years 11 months ago #243516 by dotcom22
Replied by dotcom22 on topic Community Builder 2.0 beta 3 released !

There is the risk (might be small but still exists) that the next BETA or RC is not a clean upgrade from the previous one. Each beta is designed to work on new install or upgraded CB 1.9.1 install - there are no guarantees (means we do not design or test) that a beta X release can be installed as an upgrade to a beta X-1 release.

Mmmm I start to be a bit less enthusiast.. :( I can of course test this beta but for be able to find hidden bugs and report them, that's necessary to make more than some quick test. Is required to use CB (like in normal conditions when starting a new site) by creating fields, registration process, create users, list, profile, play with tab, substitution and all community aspect. I must invest a bunch of time without be sure all job can be re-used for continue the project. Taking the risk to restart again from the scratch because upgrade failed from Beta to RC is quite annoying. If you could give some guaranteed (I know is difficult) to release your RC in a way that will not cause a bunch of problem/broke the whole system when upgrading from Beta this will be better.

I hesitate also because I seen the release of Joomla 3.5 has been much delayed and Joomla 3.3 planned for 1 April is now planned for end of month. Maybe is better (as Kyle suggested me for my case) to start with 1.9.1 with current Joomla stable and upgrade slowly later both Joomla and CB. I would like be in production in more less 3 month (with also all others CB plugin as mentioned above) and this seem to not realist. I know is not very useful for you.. :blush: :S However I will try to make some test with Beta..

I use Joomla 3.3.6 - CB 2.0.4 - CBSubs 4 - Several Incubator plugins

9 years 11 months ago #243533 by allenjj
Replied by allenjj on topic Community Builder 2.0 beta 3 released !
I got the following errors when attempting to install the beta on my development site.
Error

Community Builder library lib_CBLib version is older than the Community Builder version 1.9.1 tried to be installed.
Warning

Component Install: Custom install routine failure

Package Install: There was an error installing an extension: com_comprofiler.zip

John

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn