Joomla's Commitment to the GPL

16 years 9 months ago #39577 by pointri
Joomla's Commitment to the GPL was created by pointri
I thought I'd start a thread here that discusses the impact of Joomla's renewed commitment to and enforcement of the GPL on Community Builder. The thread in the main Joomla! site addressing the issue is getting a bit long-winded.

A few commercial plugins are available for CB, and some really interesting functionality enhancements by way of plugins are on the way. It made me curious as to how enforcement of the GPL will have any impact on that path of development.

Since most if not all plugins depend on the CB API in one way or another, would they be considered derivative works of CB, and if so, how can and should they be licensed? Moreover, could the CB plugin architecture technically be called a derivative work of Joomla's way of handling extensions?

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.
The topic has been locked.
16 years 9 months ago #39591 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Joomla's Commitment to the GPL
Agree with the concept.
I am locking this thread until the CB Team issues a formal statement - announcement.

Both Beat and myself were very involved in the debate over at joomla forums.

However as a CB Team we have not issued a formal statement yet and we will not until some heat has cooled off.

Thank you for your patience.
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn