CB 1.2 Status Report

16 years 1 month ago #59213 by philena30
Replied by philena30 on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
I'm patiently waiting with fingers crossed. :woohoo:
The topic has been locked.
16 years 1 month ago #59255 by F0l2saken
Replied by F0l2saken on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
I'm wondering if it's 100% backwards compatible with previous plugins. Sounds like it is?

I also wish that people would stop trashing joomla 1.5. If there are speed issues, I certainly don't see them, and I'm only on a 40 dollar a month VPS and i have Cache OFF. It's also a nice feature to have a system legacy plug, so that at least features can work for joomla that wouldn't of had they not of developed it. We should look at the legacy plugin as a positive thing, not a negative thing. I have this plugin enabled, and still my website loads as soon as you click somewhere. If there are speed issues, they certainly don't show up on a VPS. I have nothing special either, 800 mhz of CPU to myself, and 512 megs of ram. That runs joomla 1.5 lightning quick!

Community Builder is AWSOME and there is something you guys might want to do. Template an "About you page" for a dark website. I so want to promote community builder on the site i'm building, but the about page looks aweful on a black background website. Maybe in 1.2 you guys can somehow make it so that the when using a dark template that the about community builder tab matches it.
16 years 1 month ago #59265 by THE_AI
Replied by THE_AI on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
F0l2saken well I agree with you on the performance. No problems for me.

I don't like the fact that the CB team is bashing 1.5, because it is slower than 1.0. I'm sure that you guys realize that 1.5 is offering significant improvement on the level of framework. The possibility to rewrite the output of every modul or component written for 1.5 is the thing that a lot of people were looking for. The MVC pattern and so on, things that are really making Joomla compare to big projects like typo3. You should also acknowledge that.
16 years 1 month ago #59269 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
@F0l2saken: not trashing Joomla 1.5 - just pointing out some issues - for more information please look at www.joomlaperformance.com/

@THE_AI: Agree that the potential might be in Joomla 1.5 framework - but its really upto the developers to adapt and take advantage of it. Users, in the long run, just care about what is available and how well it works. The CB Team is not trashing/bashing Joomla 1.5 vs Joomla 1.0. I have just stated some not so obvious facts that very few users are aware of. It is there choice to make - as long as they have all the facts clear.

@both: As stated, just because CB 1.2 works on Joomla 1.5 without the legacy plugin does not mean that all the 3PD CB plugins are automatically native joomla 1.5 compatible.
16 years 1 month ago #59270 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
Quick replies:

- avatar upload at registration isn't in 1.2, but the API will make a plugin easier. ;)

- thanks for the feedback on the about screen, we will try to look into that. :)

- regarding Joomla's legacy plugin, I fully agree it's a good thing, and it doesn't influence performance for more than a few percent (on PHP 5.x), plus as most people don't understand it allows native+legacy so you get best of both worlds, so it's an AND and not an OR, as some think. :)

- regarding Joomla 1.5 performances, we didn't bash :( , and are really sorry if it has been taken like bashing, as it wasn't our intention at all :huh: . We can only agree that the 1.5 API is an evolution from the 1.0 API, and adds lots of abstraction layers and an improved MVC model. ;) However, all of this nice features have a cost in performance that one has to be aware of, before migrating a busy Joomla 1.0 site. Some CB-powered sites have 5000+ users online simultaneously on a dedicated single server, and typically this is a scenario where i can't recommend jumping on joomla 1.5 for now.

I also had to single-step through Joomla 1.0 and 1.5 as well as Mambo many times during weeks to understand bugs, and workaround them, so I think by now i pretty much have a feeling on the current web-page executions, and can see that there is room for performance improvements in all systems, but particularly in Joomla 1.5, which is a good thing, because that means that it will most probably be improved in future versions.

Here the reference regarding the performance test results:
www.joomlaperformance.com/articles/benchmarks/benchmarking_joomla_1.5.1_40_15_5.html

Please don't misunderstand us again, we are not pointing our fingers anywhere, just think that it's to early to deploy Joomla 1.5 on an existing busy website with a limited-resources server, if you don't badly need the new API. This will certainly improve over time, and our advice will most probably change in the future.

If you have reasonable server resources, and reasonable traffic, you can certainly give it a try, but we were specifically raising a warning for upgrades of existing websites:

Also, people rushing to install or migrate existing Joomla 1.0.X websites to Jooma 1.5.1 should really do their homework first.

Sorry if that wasn't clear and got misinterpreted. Hope the above clarifies.

EDIT: fixed url

Post edited by: beat, at: 2008/03/20 11:58

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
16 years 1 month ago #59272 by THE_AI
Replied by THE_AI on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
Thanks for the reply. :) Well I understand you now.

Well with cache turned on the things are looking very good for 1.5.

Post edited by: THE_AI, at: 2008/03/19 15:37
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds