Stripe

6 years 7 months ago #296704 by Swisss
Replied by Swisss on topic Stripe
Hello Krileon - Thank you for your response and feedback and yes, I probably should have realised that there would be good reasons why it hadn't already been implemented.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #296710 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Stripe

Hello Krileon - Thank you for your response and feedback and yes, I probably should have realised that there would be good reasons why it hadn't already been implemented.

It maybe way easier for a developer more familiar with making gateways, but my expertise isn't really in ecommerce so it takes me personally awhile to make a gateway. The testing alone takes at least 1-2 weeks.

I'm not sure if developers aren't making gateways for CBSubs because it's too complicated to make gateways in CBSubs or if the gateways are just too complicated in general (which for the most part they are). I'll see about throwing together a simple gateway sample plugin that describes the gateway functions and maybe that'll make it easier for developers to make gateways for CBSubs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 7 months ago #296712 by cpaschen
Replied by cpaschen on topic Stripe
Just a suggestion - you might want to make some 'connection' between the CB team and another developer that regularly makes payment gateways - one that you trust and could recommend. That way, when these questions come up you can just refer them out to that one company.

I know that we are willing to pay for the initial development of the gateway (as well as a reasonable on-going annual fee). But it is getting harder to find reputable J! developers - and esp. ones that have experience with CB.

Also/FYI ... with most projects that I work on (or bid on), I would get laughed right out of the running if I ever suggested using PayPal as a payment gateway. It is quickly becoming a 'non-professional' options for most development projects I see. And there is a LOT of interest or requirement in moving away from Authorize dot net. Stripe is becoming THE gateway here in the US.

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #296713 by krileon

Just a suggestion - you might want to make some 'connection' between the CB team and another developer that regularly makes payment gateways - one that you trust and could recommend. That way, when these questions come up you can just refer them out to that one company.

That's what we've been trying to do. What many of you don't know is we've tried hiring several companies at our expense to push new gateways for everyone, but we've yet to find any that provide such gateways at a stable high coding standard that we expect. I can not tell you how many times someone claimed to be a professional programmer and we're sent a non-working hacked together gateway. Others that do provide high quality gateways simply aren't available for hire.

But it is getting harder to find reputable J! developers - and esp. ones that have experience with CB.

This is a widespread issue that'll only get worse with time. People aren't learning to program anymore. Joomla makes sure you don't need to be a programmer to make a website. This is becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on. Especially due to SaaS (e.g. Wordpress). A lot of people learned to program, because frankly they had to (it's how I got started) if they wanted improvements. We've got CB Auto Actions which is basically a Visual Script Engine; it lets you create new code, new features, etc.. without needing to know any coding syntax or language. We're in a time now we're a lot of people using Joomla/CB flat out don't know how to write HTML or basic CSS. Kids especially aren't learning to code these days as they feel there's no need due to "there's an app for that" type of mentality going on. It's sad, but be prepared for a massive shortage of programmers as the years continue. Frankly I don't plan on going anywhere and will continue working on CB until I'm too old to, but I will always be limited by what I can accomplish within a given time period.

Also/FYI ... with most projects that I work on (or bid on), I would get laughed right out of the running if I ever suggested using PayPal as a payment gateway. It is quickly becoming a 'non-professional' options for most development projects I see. And there is a LOT of interest or requirement in moving away from Authorize dot net. Stripe is becoming THE gateway here in the US.

We offer more than just PayPal (e.g. 2co, ogone, and more). Morals aside PayPal API is straight forward, flexible, and easy to use. Stripes documentation is fantastic, but the API is so far removed from PayPal that it makes it difficult for systems designed around PayPals API structure to implemented Stripe. Most other gateways follow PayPals API structure.

To be blunt I'd need to drop everything I'm doing for probably a month to develop a Stripe gateway. That means no bug fix builds or anything for any other plugins. Heavy support days also mean some days I don't even get to touch any code. That's our biggest issue with developing gateways. They take a significant amount of time causing a lot of lost revenue.. for maybe 1-2 more CBSubs customers. The numbers just don't add up, which is why we often require significant investment to sponsor them, which doesn't really cover cost of maintaining them. We do not charge individually per gateway like other extensions either and are all simply included with your CBSubs subscription. Additionally on a personal level I find zero joy in programming gateways.

A lot of people seam to forget we are a team of 3. 2 full time and 1 part time. We're not a team of 20. We don't have the resources for that. Our business model of an all inclusive affordable subscription doesn't suite a large team. We'd have to charge individually per product exclusively (or significant cost increase to subscriptions) and probably no longer have a free CB. All of which nobody wants to happen (including us).

Basically we're all ears for any suggestions on how to better improve all of this.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 7 months ago #296719 by cpaschen
Replied by cpaschen on topic Stripe

We've got CB Auto Actions which is basically a Visual Script Engine; it lets you create new code, new features, etc.. without needing to know any coding syntax or language.

Finally, we now know why there is a coder shortage ... it's because CB has created CB Auto Actions! (just kidding ... although I've found myself just using Auto Actions instead of writing custom code/plugins).

I think we're on the same page. I've tried privately to get a strip gateway coded, but the good J! developers are all too busy :-(
I've tried to find reliable, good coders for my own projects and it's getting harder and harder.

Our JUG has been trying to connect with universities here to try to 'train up' our own stable of coders, but that's another big project.

IF I find a solution to this issue (both the Stripe gateway and good/reliable coders) I'll be sure to share with others here.

NOTE: I'm in the process of checking on the solution mentioned earlier in this thread to see if it would at all be a short-term option for our needs. I'll provide a 'review' here once we get that done.

6 years 7 months ago #296720 by krileon
The earliest I can review writing a Stripe gateway is after CB Auto Actions 7.0.0, which hopefully should be done by end of next week. The plan would be to first tackle single payments, testing, stabilizing, and releasing that. Recurring subscriptions would follow in a future release. If that time schedule is acceptable to everyone then I'll put it in place as my next project as their single payment API is simple and straight forward.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swisss

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds