Is CB suitable for me to build a business directory

9 years 4 months ago #253068 by herbie48
I'm a newbie and looking for some direction.
I want to build a business directory where public can serch via various related parameters and the advertisers can maintain their own info (via login) as often as they like (based on several different priced proformers). Will this template do this job straight off ? The info entered into specific fields in an advertisers profile would need to be able to update the listing via "update" button (?)
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #253076 by nant

herbie48 wrote: I'm a newbie and looking for some direction.
I want to build a business directory where public can serch via various related parameters and the advertisers can maintain their own info (via login) as often as they like (based on several different priced proformers). Will this template do this job straight off ? The info entered into specific fields in an advertisers profile would need to be able to update the listing via "update" button (?)
Thanks

Community Builder was never meant to be a directory extension - there are other Joomla extensions designed to support directories.

Userlists in CB are meant to list your users.

9 years 4 months ago #253236 by herbie48
Thanks for that, but does that mean it cant do what I want ? Or not easily ? I havent been able to find anything open source or without a high price tag, but maybe I dont fully understand all the jargon. What does "support directories" mean in your coments ? Do I need an extension of some sort and then a directories extension added ?
Sorry about the questions, but this is how to learn !
cheers

9 years 4 months ago #253249 by nant

herbie48 wrote: Thanks for that, but does that mean it cant do what I want ? Or not easily ? I havent been able to find anything open source or without a high price tag, but maybe I dont fully understand all the jargon. What does "support directories" mean in your coments ? Do I need an extension of some sort and then a directories extension added ?
Sorry about the questions, but this is how to learn !
cheers

See our Members link here:
www.joomlapolis.com/members

This is a Community Builder user list - it is a directory of users on this site.

Business directories I assume are somewhat different.

I assume that a business listing does not have to be a user on a site, that is why I mentioned that CB might not be ok for your use case.

Joomla has an entire category that lists directory extension here:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/directory-a-documentation/directory

9 years 4 months ago #253294 by herbie48
Thanks agin for your advice. I will look harder ! LOL
We can finish this topic, but I dont know how ! cheers

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn