Add input fields related to a table, relational databases

5 years 10 months ago #305095 by cpee
Hello,

does CB with or without Plugins has a solution to this use case:

Our members or users of our school website are parents who have children. They have at least one child, or even more children, like 2 or 3. The data in CB is about contact information, member data, spouse etc. and of course, about their children.

By default there should be fields like name, birthday, grade, class and health remarks related to the first child. In the registration and edit profile screen should be a button for "Add another child" underneath or next to the first child's data. Ideally in a new tab. If clicked, another set of child related fields should appear, again name, birthday, grade, class and health remarks for the second child. This way, more children data sets can be added.

Now, on the website forms, where parents have to choose one of their children to register a single child for an extracurricular activity, we would like to place a dropdown menu to select one of the children from the database. Only if the user has more than one child, otherwise just the first child's data will populate the form. To populate the registration form we use field mapping, but right now we cannot map the children specific field.

We are using CB without plugins at the moment. Is there a plugin we could use or any other solution? I would say this is about relational or object modelled databases, but I could not find an addon under those terms.

Thank you,
Chris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #305097 by krileon
There is no repeat field usage at this time. The best you can do for now is to manually create multiple sets of fields then show them using CB Conditional. So for example you could create 5 sets of fields then have a select field to select from 0 to 5 and show the sets of fields based off that selection.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 10 months ago #305101 by cpee
Thank you for the suggestion, that sounds like a good suggestion. One more question about the way this works: If I place a pull down menu with the values 1-5, and a user selects "4" in the registration form, how does the conditioned fields or tabs appear in the same form? Is there a page refresh or has this to be done with Ajax?

Thank you,
Chris

5 years 10 months ago #305111 by krileon
The fields or the tab the fields are on will already be there, but hidden and disabled. When the user selects 4 the conditions will be checked and the fields or the tabs (you can condition entire tabs if you want) will display depending on the condition.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn