Using CB to create website similar to Psychology Today website

3 years 6 months ago #320341 by kelleypb
Hello,

I have used CB to create a community-based website for registered users to create profiles and search for other members (in addition to using the Facebook-like features for communication and messaging). The website I wish to emulate is found here: www.psychologytoday.com/us

I was wondering if CB would be capable of building a website whereby:
  • A community of various professionals create their own profiles and upload content based on a recurring subscription
  • Non-members may search for professionals according to geographical area or zipcode (among other criteria, such as precise professional area) in order to see members profile pages

Could you please let me know if this is possible? I am unsure if the CB search can be used in this way.

Thank you, and if it is possible to do this I look forward to purchasing CB again.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #320345 by krileon
CB can handle profiles, file uploads, and recurring subscriptions (via CB Paid Subscriptions). It can also handle searching of users by address using a userlist and whatever fields you've created for users to add their address. There is no radius search so this could be an issue if you need to find users with X miles of yourself. You shouldn't have any issues testing all of that except for the subscriptions using core CB; feel free to also try things out on our demo site below.

demo.cbdemosites.com/

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 6 months ago #320347 by kelleypb
Thank you for your prompt reply. There appears to be a radius search plugin for CB on the Joomla website: extensions.joomla.org/extension/radius-search-for-community-builder/

But as long as you made zipcode, city and state required fields, that should suffice.

So just one last question: can you confirm that the CB search form can be made public to non-registered members (people looking for professionals who are CB subscription-paying members)?

Thank you and good day.

3 years 6 months ago #320350 by kelleypb
Or else would I have to use the CB Search Bot plugin and simply rely on the Joomla basic search module as explained here: www.joomlapolis.com/addons/cb-search-bot

3 years 6 months ago #320365 by krileon

There appears to be a radius search plugin for CB on the Joomla website:

We're not the developers of that plugin so I've no idea if it works.

But as long as you made zipcode, city and state required fields, that should suffice.

That's for you to create. CB comes with very minimal configuration on initial install unless you use something like CB Quickstart shown below to quickstart the configuration.

www.joomlapolis.com/addons/cb-quickstart

So just one last question: can you confirm that the CB search form can be made public to non-registered members (people looking for professionals who are CB subscription-paying members)?

Yes, public userlists are allowed. You can see this directly on our demo site below.

demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/community-builder/user-lists/grid-layout

Or else would I have to use the CB Search Bot plugin and simply rely on the Joomla basic search module as explained here:

You can if you want to, but it again has no radius searching behavior.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 6 months ago #320372 by kelleypb

If I recall correctly you can create custom fields in CS and also make them required fields (in addition to the area of expertise), so that an instruction such as "Please search by zip code, city and/or state" above the form would get you the intended user list.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn