licensing question

15 years 3 days ago #95256 by asgard
licensing question was created by asgard
Hi, this looks good, however I have two questions -

(1) I have one joomla site under development that I want to be accessible through multiple country-specific domain names. It appears that unless I do a client redirect to one domain, or have completely separate sites, the this component licence will not work?

(2) The licensing says it's based on "CMS User Rows". I assume this means Joomla users, so if I have 30000 "free" users and 500 "paid" users I need to buy a subscription big enough to cover all the free users? That doesn't seem right ....

thanks,
david

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 days ago #95270 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:licensing question
asgard wrote:

Hi, this looks good, however I have two questions -

(1) I have one joomla site under development that I want to be accessible through multiple country-specific domain names. It appears that unless I do a client redirect to one domain, or have completely separate sites, the this component licence will not work?

(2) The licensing says it's based on "CMS User Rows". I assume this means Joomla users, so if I have 30000 "free" users and 500 "paid" users I need to buy a subscription big enough to cover all the free users? That doesn't seem right ....

thanks,
david

To reply to your 2 questions:

1) if the installation directory/database is same, then it's clearly 1 site for us, even if the URLs vary. PM me in case CBSubs detect more than one ;)

2) free users are potential customers and the customers are potential free users ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 3 days ago #95307 by asgard
Replied by asgard on topic Re:licensing question
beat wrote:

2) free users are potential customers and the customers are potential free users ;)

Sure, but it's a bit rough of a CB module to be dictating to me my business model! :S What next - base it on number of site visitors, since they're potential customers? Heck - the whole world are potential customers ... guess I need a licence to cover $6 billion folk!

It would IMO be fairer to link the licencing to number of subscribers, not number of registered users. Heck, an enterprising soul might be tempted to go register lots of meaningless accounts on a subscription site so they have to pay you guys more ....:ohmy:

Hmmm .... better check what my competitors are doing .... :whistle:

15 years 3 days ago #95310 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:licensing question
wow - 295 euros for 6 billion users - now that's cheap :laugh:

Seriously, the previous model we proposed called for a different approach but community bashed against it.

So we decided on this one.

We feel it is very reasonable and fair and give new sites a chance to expand as they grow.

If a site has that many members already, then the chances of commercial success are much higher imho - so it would be even less of a risk.

Do you have any non pricing questions?

15 years 3 days ago #95314 by asgard
Replied by asgard on topic Re:licensing question
nant wrote:

wow - 295 euros for 6 billion users - now that's cheap :laugh:

Not if they're not paying!

Seriously, the previous model we proposed called for a different approach but community bashed against it.

Yes, I saw that, though haven't delved back to see what the original model was.

So we decided on this one.

See .. you are open to influence to change! ;)

Do you have any non pricing questions?

Not yet, but I'm sure I will!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn