Transferring users from AEC

15 years 3 days ago #95717 by Nefertiti
Transferring users from AEC was created by Nefertiti
I've been using AEC for over a year now and have quite a few subscribers........Is therea painless process to transfer those subscribers over to CB or would I have to have them all resubscribe?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 days ago #95719 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Transferring users from AEC
You need to get your subscribers list in a CSV format, then can easily import into CBSubs:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,87/id,95089/#95089

Also do first a test on a clone of your site before applying to live site, as AEC does hacks on joomla and on CB. Remove hacks first, but that's not a guarrantee unfortunately.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #99368 by Nefertiti
Replied by Nefertiti on topic Re:Transferring users from AEC
I can understand how that would move the users but aren't each of these users accounts tied to AEC through paypal. If I start the new site and delete the old AEC site how does paypal know to communicate future payments from these members to the new site and CBSubs? Thanks, steve

14 years 11 months ago #99503 by beat
Hi Nefertiti,

- Single payments are not a problem (except that you would have to manually treat the eCheck payments which would be pending at transfer time, if any are pending). For paypal the user is identified by user's login at paypal, and paypal makes the link with the notification URLS (IPNs) for each single payment individually.

- Paypal payment subscriptions would not work automatically, as Paypal memorizes a IPN url for that, and you can't change that at Paypal. In addition, CBSubs uses very particular URLs, with several security items in it, so you can't use url-rewrites for that.

You could theoretically run both systems in parallel until existing payment subscriptions in old system are all made. Paypal supports that fine. But I can't guarrantee that CBSubs and CB work fine with the hacks made by AEC in Joomla and CB, you would need to test first.

Best Regards,

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #99572 by Nefertiti
Replied by Nefertiti on topic Re:Transferring users from AEC
Thanks for the answer. The problem is.......how do I tranfer from AEC to CBSubs without losing a percentage of my subscribers. I was hoping I could do it behind the scenes so the customers would not notice. Has anyone else done this? I have a feeling if I cancel people old memberships and ask them to sign up on a the new website I might lose 10% of my customers if not more. Any ideas. I would rather not try to run both AEC and CB because it's an old AEC for Joomla 1.0.12 and I would have to go through the headache of upgrading and I would think there would be conflicts.

14 years 11 months ago #99577 by beat
Nefertiti wrote:

Thanks for the answer. The problem is.......how do I tranfer from AEC to CBSubs without losing a percentage of my subscribers. I was hoping I could do it behind the scenes so the customers would not notice. Has anyone else done this? I have a feeling if I cancel people old memberships and ask them to sign up on a the new website I might lose 10% of my customers if not more. Any ideas. I would rather not try to run both AEC and CB because it's an old AEC for Joomla 1.0.12 and I would have to go through the headache of upgrading and I would think there would be conflicts.

I will leave others reply on their migration experiences. :)

I would not recommend to ask users to do extra steps, sure you will loose a small %, depending on your offering of course.

Regarding subscriptions with single payments you won't loose any as you can import subscriptions by list of users with their own expiration dates, so members won't see any difference.

However for auto-recurring paypal payments (those where the user don't have to do anything to be paying automatically each month or whenever), you would need to ask users to re-subscribe, which most would see as an unneeded pain, and I wouldn't recommend it either.

Do you have single payments or auto-recurring ones actually ?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn