CBSubs plan usage question / use case

14 years 9 months ago #104352 by infoteam
CBSubs plan usage question / use case was created by infoteam
Here is what we are trying to be able to do with subscriptions and site access.

Our general idea is to have 3 levels of access:

Free (w/ sub)
Standard (w/ sub)
Premium (w/ sub)

This is fairly simple. I had them setup as exclusive plans and I think that would work well. Probably now is that we want to start offering some other subscriptions and merchandise.

We want to begin selling access to certain parts of the site for a limited time, like to a particular video or series of videos that have it's own subscription. Because I have them exclusive, I can't add one where another exclusive one already is subscribed. Or, I can't get it to work actually.

Ultimately, we'd like to sell merchandise that allows them to access the video series until we remove the subscription since that has no validity.

The other aspect we'd like to do is be able to offer a free 30 days and then convert them to standard membership. Is it possible to do that and have it auto start the standard membership without having to have a duplicate subscription type that is identical to the standard membership except for starting 30 days later? We don't want to force our users to have to renew as statistically, most people wont renew but will keep going if they don't have to do anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #104380 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CBSubs plan usage question / use case
infoteam wrote:

... Because I have them exclusive, I can't add one where another exclusive one already is subscribed. Or, I can't get it to work actually.

Sure you can add non-exclusive plans (checkboxes instead of radios) in parallel with exclusive ones :)

Exclusive plans mean mandatory to select one, while non-exclusive are optional and can be cumulated.

The other aspect we'd like to do is be able to offer a free 30 days and then convert them to standard membership. Is it possible to do that and have it auto start the standard membership without having to have a duplicate subscription type that is identical to the standard membership except for starting 30 days later? We don't want to force our users to have to renew as statistically, most people wont renew but will keep going if they don't have to do anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

You could do following (but with paypal it requires users to be paypal members to use auto-recurring payment subscriptions):

In plan:
1) Add a different first period of 30 days free, then do your monthly fee.
2) require payments to be auto-recurring (or offer that in addition of free trial button that will appear in that case).
In gateway:
3) Allow for auto-recurring payments

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 9 months ago #104423 by infoteam
Replied by infoteam on topic Re:CBSubs plan usage question / use case
What we'd LIKE to be able to do is NOT to have to have special plans for the 30 days free setup. I'd like to have a 30 days free plan that the user signs up for, then it automatically converts to the standard membership, a different plan.

Is that possible? Otherwise, I'm going to have a LOT of duplicate plans.

Also, is it possible to only show certain upgrades to people on certain plans, like special offers, but still be able to see the "standard plans" they can upgrade like from standard to premium?

14 years 9 months ago #104438 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CBSubs plan usage question / use case
Ok, I'll walk you through the steps that will help you accomplish something like what you're asking.

First create a new plan or edit an existing plan. Click the Pricing tab and look under the legend First period pricing and validity. Set the First payment price of plan to 0. Now set the Initial validity duration to 30 days.

Ok, now that is setup it basically gives your users a 30 day one time free trial for the plan. This will help prevent continued usage of free trial plan by the same user, scamming you. ;)

Now set the Regular Price of plan and Regular Validity duration respectively to what you want the plan to be priced and for how long AFTER the free 30 day trial.

You can navigate to the Workflows tab and set Propose spontaneously plan for upgrades to No. This will allow you to provide a link to users for special plan offers.

I do not believe you can sign up for 1 plan and have it jump to another.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 9 months ago #104718 by infoteam
Replied by infoteam on topic Re:CBSubs plan usage question / use case
Thanks for the information about not being able to jump from one to another. That's mostly what I needed to know. The walkthrough helped as well as it validated what I had already setup previously to try to work through this issue.

Thanks!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn