Upgrade from First Payment / Reg Price Plans

14 years 5 months ago #114962 by tbream
I'd appreciate your thoughts on how best to structure plans for the following use case.

Plan A - 60 the first year, and 40 each year thereafter (which of course easily structured using the first price and regular price parameters)

Plan B - 70 for the first year, and 50 each year thereafter (Plan B offers additional features)

If someone is six months into their first year on Plan A, but decides that they want to upgrade to Plan B, and I have the options setup to prorate the remaining value, how does CBSubs handle this?

Does it upgrade to the partial remaining first year - e.g. prorate 30 remaining on the first year of Plan A, apply it to the 35 remaining of the first year of Plan B and charge the net 5, and switch to the year thereafter charge of 50 in plan B after the remaining 6 months has expired?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #114963 by krileon
It's based on residual value, which is price/duration type ratio. See page 139 of your documentation for detailed explanation and example.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 5 months ago #114976 by tbream
Thanks - I read through that, and understand the residual value calculation in normal circumstances - where we swap the value of an unexpired term into pay for a full term of a replacement plan.

However, in this case, Plan A has a different price for the first year than the price for the second year and thereafter.

Plan B also has a different price for the first year than the price for the second year and thereafter - and it has more features.

If I am halfway through the first year on plan A, which I paid 60 for I know that I am going to be charged a lower price in the second year if I renew, a price of 40.

But I haven't completed my first year of membership. If I want to upgrade to plan B for 70 the first year, and 50 per year after, there could be different ways that upgrade logic could work.

Logic #1: I get credit for 30 of my unexpired plan A first year with six months to go, and it is applied to a new full first year of plan B. So my one year count starts again, and I pay 40 for that full year at the upgraded level.

Logic #2: I get credit for 30 of my unexpired plan A first year with six months to go, and it is applied to six more months to finish off a full first year with Plan B. Plan B is prorated for the remaining first year at 35, my 30 is applied in residual value, and I pay 5. In six months, my price is reduced for subsequent years and I pay 50 per year thereafter with plan B.

Logic #3: I get credit for 30 of my unexpired plan A first year with six months to go, and it is applied to the renewal rate for Plan B, which is 50. I pay the 20 net to start a new one year cycle.

So in essence, my question gets down to how residual value is applied when you go from one split Plan to another.

Or, if you have a thought to structure it differently to anticipate this issue.

14 years 5 months ago #114981 by krileon
It's prorated the same way regular payments are. Initial period is so you can offer a 1 time fee, a trial price, etc... It's still calculated the same way regular payments are. Figure the residual amount and reduce it from the new plans initial price and that'll be what you pay.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn