[SOLVED] [#1640] User not given upgrade option

14 years 1 week ago #129519 by MarkRS
My website has two main types of plan, a magazine subscription or website access only (free). They are set up as mutually exclusive children of the same parent (top).

Magazine subscription is marked as "always show children".
There are four different types of magazine subscription which are implemented as mutually exclusive children of the magazine subscription plan, which has no cost in itself.

If someone with website only access tries to access content they need a subscription for CBSubs steps in and points this out, which is great, but the page offered only shows the Magazine Subscription plan, selected, and then when the user presses the "Upgrade" button it gives the message

Chosen plans combination is not allowed (you must choose coherent plans selection, e.g. mandatory subscription(s) must be active or mandatory plan(s) must be chosen). 'Magazine Subscription' has mandatory options 'UK Print Subscription', 'Europe Print Subscription', 'World Print Subscription', 'Electronic Subscription' and none is selected.
Please press back button and select the subscription plan to which you would like to upgrade.

Unfortunately those sub-plans aren't displayed, as I've said, so the user can't upgrade! Waaaaaaaah! :angry:

The only thing I can think of is that the "Magazine Subscription" plan is the same price as website only (free). But I don't have a way around that I can see if that is the problem...
Any thoughts?

Latest versions (1.2.2 & 1.0.3, Joomla 1.5.15).
Website nhmag.co.uk

Post edited by: MarkRS, at: 2010/04/07 18:10

Post edited by: MarkRS, at: 2010/04/07 18:13

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/04/08 21:59

Post edited by: MarkRS, at: 2010/04/10 17:57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 week ago #129523 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:User not given upgrade option
The children plans will not show on a page that they do not protect. This is the result of only the parent plan displaying. It's also the result of having Exclusive children plans, which means one of the children plans is required. However, that plan is not displaying causing it to not pass validation. Your children plans should contain the protection rather then the single parent plan.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 week ago #129555 by MarkRS
Replied by MarkRS on topic Re:User not given upgrade option
This is somewhat inconvenient.
I have ten years of magazines, publishing six a year with an average of twelve web pages per issue.

That's something like 600 pages to control, plus menus for them, and increasing.

Having to replicate that protection four times, and an extra number with every issue, that's a real pain given how clunky the interface is.

Do I have a clever option? Because this option is really a problem.

14 years 1 week ago #129634 by krileon
Sorry am not aware of any sort of workaround. CBSubs displays what plans are necessary to access the area the user is attempting to access. If you want the user to have XYZ plan for ABC area then XYZ plan should protect ABC area and not plan 123.

That's something like 600 pages to control, plus menus for them, and increasing.

This should not be the case; there are more clever ways to protect areas such as protecting an entire module instead of multiple links inside of it. You could also protect an entire category of articles instead of each individual article, etc...

Have created a bug ticket for this issue however as exclusive children plans of a parent plan should show seeing as they're required to even obtain the parent plan.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 week ago #129690 by MarkRS
Replied by MarkRS on topic Re:User not given upgrade option
Thanks for that.

Yup, I do see your point, and I still think it is an issue.

A "workaround" I can see is copying the entire set of permissions in the database (can you tell I'm a database developer? ;) ).

All those permissions are contained in the field "integrations" in the _cbsubs_plans table.

Certainly in the meantime this seems like my most sensible option. Do you think the fix you've asked for would make it best to set the options at the parent level again?

Yes, I agree that changing the section or category of the plans might also be a smart way to do it, but with Joomla 1.6 looming that doesn't seem to be a very sensible thing to do just now, d'you think?

14 years 1 week ago #129736 by krileon

All those permissions are contained in the field "integrations" in the _cbsubs_plans table.

This is correct, you could easily copy them over to other plans if you'd like for fast duplication of integration settings.

Certainly in the meantime this seems like my most sensible option. Do you think the fix you've asked for would make it best to set the options at the parent level again?

At this time it is considered a bug that exclusive children plans do not show when accessing an area of the site protected by the parent plan. So yes it would resolve your issue.

Yes, I agree that changing the section or category of the plans might also be a smart way to do it, but with Joomla 1.6 looming that doesn't seem to be a very sensible thing to do just now, d'you think?

Don't know, we won't officially support Joomla 1.6 until it is stable. It's still just in Alpha so it is WAY too early to be preparing for its release.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn