[SOLVED] Upgrading to plans starting after current expires

13 years 3 months ago #147608 by startup
Hi,

I am trying to implement a use case where I have two plans for subscriptions. Both plans have identical permissions. The difference is that one plan is 10€ and validity period is 1 month. The other other is valid for 1 year and costs 100€.

What I would like to do is that someone who is subscribed a monthly plan can upgrade to the annual one where the additional subscription commences after the current one is expired.

As a concrete example, let's say I subscribed to a monthly plan on 1.12.2010. On the 8th of December 2010, I decide that I want to upgrade to the annual plan.

Now, the system should not prorate the existing plan's value (I know how to do that part), but it should charge me the full 100€ for the annual plan which should NOT start on 8.12.2010 but on 1.1.2011 (the day after which the 1 month plan expired) and then expire on 31.12.2011.

I have studied the CBSubs documentation (admittedly the one before the latest 1.1; will upgrade soon), I did some searches in the forum, but I still don't know how this could be implemented.

Thank you for your help!

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/12/10 17:33

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #147675 by krileon
Sorry, no such a feature is available. Would be glad to add a feature ticket pertaining to your request with some more understanding of its usage. Could you please explain in more detail as to what you're wanting to do. Seams to be some sort of "Duration Prorating" rather then "Price Prorating".

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #147678 by nant
Also how should the system react if initial plan is renewed?

13 years 3 months ago #147731 by startup
Hello Krileon, Nant,

Thank you for your fast responses. And thanks for offering to add it as an item for future consideration.

Yes, it's not about prorating price. We can think of the use case as subscription, e.g., to an online magazine.

Imagine different plans with lengths and prices, e.g., monthly, quarterly, annually, etc.

If I subscribe to a magazine for one month to try it out, and after 14 days I realize it's so good, I want to extend it immediately to get a better deal for a quarter or a year (better because the price per month would be lower).

I think it would be desirable from the businesses' (magazine's publisher's) point of view to not prorate the price (because it looks 'funny' the odd amounts it yields), and from consumers point of view it would not be good to not prorate it either, because if the new plan started 'today' lasting for one quarter, and i lose the remaining 14 days of the first month I signed up for because the plan starts now rather than following what I already paid for.

So, the choice I have as a consumer is to only extend my subscription by upgrading to a 'better' plan after my current plan has expired.

I hope this sheds a bit more light on the use case. I am glad to explain further.

Re Nant's question: I am not sure. Because I am not sure right now what it means to renew the initial plan. I think in this case it could mean that renewing the initial plan simply repeats it following the end of the current period of the initial plan. Maybe this is what happens already now. I have not tried that yet. So, in this case, if I subscribe for a one month plan, and then 14 days into the one month plan, i decide to renew the initial plan, I would expect my total plan duration to be for 1.5 months following the date of renewal (.5 month from initial plan, and 1 month from the renewed initial plan).

Let me know if I can explain more to help.

Thank you!

13 years 3 months ago #147861 by krileon
I see, what you're wanting can be done by allowing "renewal in advance". If you have a plan with a duration of 1 year, allow to renew in advance by 1 year. This would "stack" the durations. For example if I subscribe for 1 year and love it, I can "renew" (you're free to rename "renew" via language strings) for another year and have 2 years consecutive subscription.

Now this does NOT apply to say subscribing from Plan A to Plan B, this only applies to renewing the same plan. However a good approach is to do as suggest and put your free trial on the plan it self (configure "initial" duration and price) thus the user will need to wait for the free trial to end at which point would be presented with the paid subscription (never losing time).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #147900 by startup
Thank you, Krileon. I figured out the advance in renewal for same plan over the weekend. A pity it does not work accross different plans. Maybe a future use case.

Thank you again!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.228 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn