Free LIfetime Plan with Additional Paid Plans

12 years 9 months ago #166050 by ejde
I am setting up a site for a society that needs the following structure:

1) Basic (Free) lifetime registration
2) Several paid annual plans

When the paid annual plans expire, and are not renewed, we want the users to fall back to the free lifetime plan automatically.

In setting up the paid annual plans, I've made them children of the free lifetime plan. However, if a new registering user selects the free lifetime plan when they are registering, they get an error that says a mandatory child plan was not selected.

So, is this the right structure after all? Should I just do away with the free lifetime plan and make all the paid annual plans' parent set to "Top" instead?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #166132 by krileon

In setting up the paid annual plans, I've made them children of the free lifetime plan. However, if a new registering user selects the free lifetime plan when they are registering, they get an error that says a mandatory child plan was not selected.

This means your lifetime plan has exclusive child plans and one of those child plans is not selected or your lifetime plan is not set to exclusive while other exclusive parent plans exist. Please re-review your plan setup to ensure either or isn't the case.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 9 months ago #166135 by ejde
OK, I've fixed the error by making all plans their own parent, and I've setup the free lifetime plan as the default. What will happen at the end of one of the paid annual plans? I'd like the user to automatically fall back to the free lifetime plan. At this point, would they need to select a new membership manually, or is there a way for me to set this up to work automatically?

12 years 9 months ago #167012 by piggybackup
Replied by piggybackup on topic Re: Free LIfetime Plan with Additional Paid Plans
I think that what you might need to do is to create a child of the "Free Lifetime" parent plan that is also a "Free Lifetime" plan.

This and all other children of the free lifetime Parent should be set to "Exclusive."

In this way, a user will be forced to choose one of your child plans, but one of the available options (you could make it the default) would be the "Free Lifetime" child plan.

I believe that choosing any child of a parent automatically subscribes the user to the Parent plan as well. (This is an issue that I'm currently struggling with myself--I wish that it WASN'T behaving in this way, but it seems to be.

This way, if a user signs up for a non-free limited time child plan, when it expires, they'll still be subscribed to the free lifetime PARENT plan.

I'm not a pro at this, but seem to be experiencing the behavior that I'm describing to you myself.

Hope it helps!
-Dan

12 years 9 months ago #167139 by ejde
Thanks for the idea, but I think that might be awfully confusing to the administrators of the site who are going to then have to track two different groups of "Free Lifetime" members, with some users fluctuating between the two from time to time. That's far from ideal for our purposes, but I'm up for other creative options that get a similar result. At this point, we're just letting those members who upgrade to a paid plan expire when they choose not to renew, and then they'll still be registered users on the site. So, I'm hopeful that will be enough for my client.

12 years 9 months ago #167189 by krileon
There is no fallback plan support. If you need fallback support then you need a Parent > Child relationship or you need to disable free registered users all together then provide a free lifetime plan. Thus if they expire and don't renew they'll be forced to pick a new plan (free or otherwise) or be disabled.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn