Question regarding PHP version required

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #176229 by RealMcCoy
Question regarding PHP version required was created by RealMcCoy
Hi All,
I have just purchased a license to use CBsubs and downloaded the manual to read first (as you do), and noticed that the requirements include PHP version 5.2.4 or better. :unsure: My server has 5.2.16 -- is this going to force me to give up on using CBsubs? I have no control over my web host's installation of PHP, and have already pre-paid a year's hosting, so if CBsubs does not work with 5.2.16, I'm stuffed.

Your early reply would be hugely appreciated! Thanks...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #176234 by nant

RealMcCoy wrote: Hi All,
I have just purchased a license to use CBsubs and downloaded the manual to read first (as you do), and noticed that the requirements include PHP version 5.2.4 or better. :unsure: My server has 5.1.16 -- is this going to force me to give up on using CBsubs? I have no control over my web host's installation of PHP, and have already pre-paid a year's hosting, so if CBsubs does not work with 5.1.16, I'm stuffed.

Your early reply would be hugely appreciated! Thanks...

Please note that Joomla also has such requirements:

www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #176236 by RealMcCoy
Replied by RealMcCoy on topic Re: Question regarding PHP version required
Joomla's requirements (for 1.5, which is what I am running) are PHP 5.2+ - I have 5.2.16 (just realised that I had a typo in my first post - sorry!), so I am meeting the requirements. Now, are you able to answer my question? Is this going to be an insurmountable problem? If so, I will need to ask for a full refund.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #176238 by beat
EDIT: PHP 5.2.16 is of course fine, as it's > 5.2.4.

Most things will work with PHP 5.1.16, but some might not, as we do not test CBSubs with obsolete PHP versions (PHP 5.1 is obsolete now for 5 (five!) years, you can show this to your hoster: www.php.net/archive/2006.php ). I don't have an exhaustive list unfortunately, from the head, quite sure PostAfiliatesPro integration plugin won't work, and for a few things it will depend on installed PHP extensions by your hoster. Some of them became standard in PHP 5.2.

Even though you paid for a year, you should really work with your hoster to get him up-to-date security-wise, as that PHP version has many known vulnerabilities, and with such old software there are risks of many other vulnerabities. Then if he can't upgrade, maybe ask for a partial refund and change hoster to a more safe one who upgrades/patches his systems regularly.

If needed, we can propose you our hosting, which is safe, uptodate security-wise, and guaranteed to meet all the pre-requisites of Joomla, CB and CBSubs. If you need a special offer to help the transition period, simply PM me your situation and we will work out a smooth transition offer.

I really hope that you will be able to have your hoster update his system, as it probably affects the security of many other sites.

I hope you understand that this is principally not a matter of running CBSUbs, but of security, and to avoid your site(s) from being hacked.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #176241 by RealMcCoy
Replied by RealMcCoy on topic Re: Question regarding PHP version required
Hi Beat,
Sorry for the confusion - I had mistyped the version number in my first post. The version running on my webserver is not 5.1.16, but 5.2.16 - so it is only a little behind the 5.2.4 stated on the requirements list....

Ah - DUH! Of course 16 is higher than 4, I was thinking 5.2.1.6 DUH! So I guess it's A-OK, then. Big relief! Thanks for being so patient with me. Late here.... that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! :P

12 years 6 months ago #176243 by beat
No worries, i had a light saying that 5.1.16 never existed, as 5.1.6 was last of 5.1 series, but didn't react to that light either...

Yes you are fine with 5.2.16 and also with any 5.3 release as well.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn