Setting Stripe Descriptions

10 months 3 weeks ago #333788 by wjgadmin
Replied by wjgadmin on topic Setting Stripe Descriptions
Here's an example and something I've noticed regarding inconsistency:

If you look at every single user's invoice via CBSubs / Payment baskets, regardless of payment gateway and recurring vs non-recurring, every one of the invoices have the column "item" with the following content: "Subscription Plan: Plan Name for Username"
- one inconsistency I've found with this... PayPal recurring item = "Subscription Plan: Plan Name for Username", whereas PayPal non-recurring item = "Subscription Plan: Plan Name: for Username". Note the difference being the ":".

Can you please use that for all descriptions regardless of payment gateway and recurring vs non-recurring? So in our case, for Stripe & PayPal recurring & non-recurring etc...?

Apologies for being so tedious, however as I'm sure you respect, it is important to have consistency across the board and for all code to be precise :)
- this helps with all other automations, such as bookkeeping via 3rd party apps and many other things including CBSubs invoices, payment gateway data etc...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 months 3 weeks ago #333789 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Setting Stripe Descriptions

However, the recurring payment (a new one) came in with the description = Subscription creation

Nothing I can do about that. Stripe is doing that and I could never discover why. We send descriptions for every API call that has them. Suggest contacting Stripe regarding why they aren't using the description for those payments.

Can you please use that for all descriptions regardless of payment gateway and recurring vs non-recurring? So in our case, for Stripe & PayPal recurring & non-recurring etc...?

That's not set by the gateways it's set by you. Edit all your plans and under Pricing ensure the "Payment invoice item text" parameters are consistent for all your plans. Next in CBSubs > Settings > Display > Baskets adjust "Payment basket and gateway item text" parameters accordingly.

Note none of these changes will do anything for existing recurring payments.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #333791 by wjgadmin

Nothing I can do about that. Stripe is doing that and I could never discover why. We send descriptions for every API call that has them. Suggest contacting Stripe regarding why they aren't using the description for those payments.

I will contact them back again, the last time, they ensured me that was a result of CBSubs not providing it per the documentation they sent. I'll let them know it is still not recognizing it somehow.

That's not set by the gateways it's set by you. Edit all your plans and under Pricing ensure the "Payment invoice item text" parameters are consistent for all your plans. Next in CBSubs > Settings > Display > Baskets adjust "Payment basket and gateway item text" parameters accordingly.

I've confirmed all plans are identical via payment invoice item text. This appears to be a result of recurring vs non-recurring payments. When recurring there's no ":" in the description (item) whereas when non-recurring, the ":" is there. This isn't a big deal, however if it's impacting this, it could be impacting other things as well. Thank you!

10 months 3 weeks ago #333793 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Setting Stripe Descriptions

I will contact them back again, the last time, they ensured me that was a result of CBSubs not providing it per the documentation they sent. I'll let them know it is still not recognizing it somehow.

We already created a feature ticket, implemented, and released a new CBSubs build with the descriptions set in the checkout sessions subscription_data and payment_intent_data. This isn't going to fix existing subscriptions though. I don't know where else to set descriptions as I've already checked all of our endpoints that support them. You can check all of this for yourself in Stripes developer dashboard and see our API calls to Stripe.

I've confirmed all plans are identical via payment invoice item text. This appears to be a result of recurring vs non-recurring payments. When recurring there's no ":" in the description (item) whereas when non-recurring, the ":" is there. This isn't a big deal, however if it's impacting this, it could be impacting other things as well. Thank you!

Those are the only 3 settings that govern what we display and send for baskets. Specifically it sets the item_name for a basket and is what we send to payment providers.

Payment item text: [PREFIX_TEXT] [ITEM_NAME][VALIDITY_IF_NOT_AUTORECURRING] for [USERNAME]
Payment processor item text (short): [PREFIX_TEXT] [ITEM_ALIAS][VALIDITY_IF_NOT_AUTORECURRING]

I believe the colon is added by [VALIDITY_IF_NOT_AUTORECURRING], which is hardcoded in. Simply remove that section if you like. Not this won't have any impact on existing baskets.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 months 3 weeks ago #333794 by wjgadmin
Thank you for the details, this makes sense per the "[VALIDITY_IF_NOT_AUTORECURRING]" causing the ":".

I've looked through the webhooks/API information and it's quite confusing from Stripe's end because there are multiple methods they use such as charge.succeeded, invoice_payment.succeeded etc.....
I can see the description in some places but in others it is NULL or defaults to their "Subscription creation" or otherwise...

Please allow me some time to have them look further into this. I don't want you having to put in unnecessary time for something they can provide more clarity on. They have confirmed the description was passed for a specific payment I used as an example, however it wasn't used via Stripe side.

So I will respond as soon as I hear back from them and hopefully we can get this resolved once and for all :)
Thank you kindly!
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

10 months 3 weeks ago #333812 by wjgadmin
Hi, I received the following from Stripe; could you please let me know how to respond?
————
In order to provide the proper assistance I would need more details from you.

Would you be kind to provide the following information?

- Full snippet code of the checkout session and creation of the subscription in plain text

- The expected description that you set when you created the checkout session

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn