[SOLVED] Configuration / Images

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #238000 by LukeDouglas
[SOLVED] Configuration / Images was created by LukeDouglas
Is there anyway to have uploaded images resized after being uploaded to have a width or height no greater than the settings in the Configuration / Images?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #238022 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Configuration / Images
Only if you edit them manually within the images/comprofiler/ folder and re-size them using an image editing program. Alternative is to adjust the maximum sizes then re-upload.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 3 months ago #238050 by LukeDouglas
Replied by LukeDouglas on topic Configuration / Images
Krileon,

Then this is definitely something you want to add to your 'things to add' list.

The ability to set the fixed maximums on width and height for 'full-size' images as well as 'thumbnails' and have the graphics application automatically resize the images BEFORE they are saved would be awesome as it means there could be no filesize upload restriction and disk space is saved thus meaning they could upload more images. Trust me, it's not as hard to do this as you think! :cheer:

FYI, I actually used this technique when I had developed my own CMS back in the early 2000's and before I standarized on Joomla. B)

10 years 3 months ago #238150 by krileon
We've plans to implement minimum height and width features in the future. For now it's limited to maximum height and width. Ideally you'd combine these 2 to limit images to an exact size if you wanted. We've also plans to implement square image selector using jQuery. I've no idea when these will be implemented though (not next release as we're feature locked now).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 3 months ago #238189 by LukeDouglas
Replied by LukeDouglas on topic Configuration / Images
Krileon,

Not sure if I understand you correctly on the min height / width and current maximum height / width but I truly understand the development cycle.

Basically, a user should enter the 'maximum height' and 'maximum width' for 'any' image to be saved for displayed. As far as 'minimums', that can be done dynamically on the resized image that was uploaded and saved.

So let's say that you set the 'maximum height' as 600 pixels and the 'maximum width' as 800 pixels. A user browses his computer, selects and image that is actually 2560x1280 pixels. You resize the image to 600 pixels height but see that the width using 'keep aspect ratio' is actually 1200pixels. So you now know that this image must be resized based on width so you resize the width to 800 pixels and the height is 400 pixels which is below the 'maximum height' settings of 600 pixels. Now you know that this image should be resized to 800x400 pixels.

Now let's go the other way. Say the user selects an image that is 2560x3620 pixels. You resize to 800 pixels width but you see that the height using 'keep aspect ration' is 1131 pixels height. So you know that this image must be resize based on height so you resie the height to 600 pixels and the width is now 424 pixels wide which is less than the 'maximum width' settings of 800 pixels.

In both cases, the disk space is less than 5% of the disk space required for the full-size and the time to load the images for display on a page page would be 20+ times faster. As far as quality, for most 'non-discerning' eyes, they would not notice any significant decline in the quality of the image. It's a win-win-win for the website administrator plus the user as they won't reach their maximum too quickly. Right now, you could literally upload 2-3 images and ready your maximum storage space as allocated whereas with resizing the administrator could allocate the same disk space but increase the number of photos. That's nice.

FYI, this is the procedure I have used in the past when I implemented this dynamic resizing of image files as they were uploaded to the website. Worked great!

10 years 3 months ago #238210 by krileon
I see, you want to maintain aspect ratios. That's something we can look into when we upgrade our image library.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn