[SOLVED] CB Registration Emails in Plain Text only

1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #330692 by HCAA
After updating to 2.7.3+build.2022.09.05.15.16.54.d36b7aff3 version of CB, when someone registers as a new member, the email they receive is in Plain Text, rather than HTML. I've verified that the Registration tab in Configuration has HTML set as "Registration Email HTML YES". This has been verified and tried on two different systems with the same result. As a result, the Confirmation Link that is supposed to be in the email to verify the email address of the registrant comes through as embedded code, rather than a clickable link.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 7 months ago #330693 by HCAA
Additional information:  the culprit was PHP 8. Neither PHP 8.0 nor 8.1 will work. I had to go back to 7.4.30 to get it to work right.

When do you expect CB to be compatible with PHP 8?

1 year 7 months ago #330703 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Registration Emails in Plain Text only
We're already compatible with PHP 8. Our mailer does not auto-convert the confirmation URL to a clickable link. That's usually done at the recipients mail provider. If you want to force it to be sent as HTML clickable then use the below in your pending email.
<a href="[confirmlink]">[confirmlink]</a>

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 7 months ago #330716 by HCAA
You've misunderstood my question.

The format of the link is not the problem. It's the format of the email itself. It is displayed in plain text with HTML code showing because the email clients are unable to translate the message as formatted.

Because I'm not sure how HTML code may be displayed on this forum, I've attached a .txt file with an illustration of the problem. The top portion of the attachment shows the code as generated by CB when using PHP 7.4.30. That code is correctly translated by all email clients so that the HTML-coded email is displayed correctly, with operable hyperlinks included. The lower portion of the attachment shows the code as generated by CB when using PHP 8. That code is incorrectly translated by email clients so that the message is not identified as an HTML email, so the plain text display shows the code and hyperlinks are not clickable.
Attachments:

1 year 7 months ago #330725 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Registration Emails in Plain Text only
Do Joomla emails do the same thing on PHP 8? or is this exclusively CB emails doing this? Joomla HTML emails don't set a proper HTML body though so it may not impact Joomla emails. Looks like an encoding problem though, which is usually done either in the email client as needed or by the mail server. The broken HTML you're seeing was not generated by CB, but is caused by the encoding.

What email client are you using? Have you tried a different email client? I've tested Thunderbird, GMail, Yahoo, and Outlook and all seam fine with our emails.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 7 months ago #330735 by HCAA
The problem showed up in Outlook 2019 (not Outlook.com), AOL, RoundCube, and Horde. It does not show up when sending/receiving emails using the mail server outside of CB using any client we've tried; however, I don't know what you mean by "Joomla emails" since we don't send/receive emails from within Joomla unless they're generated by CB.

To recap:  The system-generated emails associated with Registration within CB chosen to be formatted as HTML, rather than plain text. When we are using PHP 7.4.30, everything works fine, and the emails are received by all email clients as properly coded HTML emails. When we change to any PHP 8 version (8.0 or 8.1) and change nothing else, when the emails are received, they are recognized by the receiving client as plain text, displaying the HTML code instead of hypertext links or other HTML formatting (color, bold, underline, etc.). When we switch back to PHP 7.4.30 without changing anything else, the Registration emails are displayed properly again.

When we format HTML emails using a variety of clients but using the same mail server on the same site where CB is installed (as well as other servers), changing the PHP version does not affect those at all. Only those automatically sent through CB during the registration process.

Any other ideas on how we can test it?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.852 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn