website Profile Update Logger - template edit

2 years 11 months ago #324895 by abqmgweb
Profile Update Logger - template edit was created by abqmgweb
Newbie here. I just set up Profile Update Logger and it's working great, thank you, but I need the change log messages to show the formatname rather than the username.

I found a post that says I can edit the template but I don't know how to get to this location from the backend... components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_cbprofileupdatelogger/templates/

Can you please fill in the blank for me?

Thanks,
Corinne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago #324902 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Profile Update Logger - template edit
formatname instead of username where exactly? CB Profile Update Logger just logs raw field value changes. So if the username field changed it will show that. The user icon tooltip to show who made the change is already outputting the formatname field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

2 years 11 months ago #324905 by abqmgweb
Replied by abqmgweb on topic website Profile Update Logger - template edit
I apologize but your reply doesn't help me at all.

The change log email messages are being also sent to someone who does not have admin access to the website. She can't go in to see the person's real name based on their username. She needs their real name to track changes outside the website. It would be much easier if the email said: "Mary Smith" has updated their profile; instead of "marys" or whatever Mary's username might be. I can make this work if it can't be changed, but this set up just adds another layer of work for me.

Can you also please translate "The user icon tooltip to show who made the change is already outputting the formatname field." into something I can understand? I looked at the log and the formatname does not show up anywhere...

I wasn't kidding when I said I was new to this. I am a volunteer for a non-profit, and I am all they have so I am trying to learn this as I go.

Thanks for any help you can provide - in layman's terms and maybe with step by step instructions?

2 years 11 months ago #324916 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic website Profile Update Logger - template edit
Ok, so you're referring strictly to the email. That can be modified to include formatname field, yes. To edit that you need to use language overrides as shown below.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18701-language-overrides-have-arrived

A language key search tool is provided on that same page for locating language strings to override. Specifically the following are the language strings used by CB Profile Update Logger email.

Edit Self
Subject:
[username] has updated their profile!
Body:
<a href="[url]">[username]</a> has updated their profile. Changed: [changed]. Pending Changes: [pending].<br /><br />[changes]

Edit by Other
Subject Key: USER_HAS_UPDATED_PROFILE_OF_USERNAME
Subject Text:
[user] has updated the profile of [username]!
Body:
[user] has updated the profile of <a href="[url]">[username]</a>. Changed: [changed]. Pending Changes: [pending].<br /><br />[changes]

These support substitutions, which are documented below.

www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/279-community-builder/tutorials/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

So if you wanted formatname instead of username then you'd change [username] to [formatname] in the language override. This would look like the following.

You'll notice I made use of 2 different ways to override. The first on use using the original string as the Key. The second one is using the auto generated Key. Both usages will work for easily overriding language strings.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: abqmgweb

2 years 11 months ago #324919 by abqmgweb
Replied by abqmgweb on topic website Profile Update Logger - template edit
Thank you - I finally figured out what you meant. I looked and looked on www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18701-language-overrides-have-arrived for the "language key search tool ... provided on that same page" but you didn't actually mean THAT page, you meant the page that was kind of referenced by the article (but not really). It is very vague - as the article does NOT inform how to get to the graphic shown - it just says "edit any language plugin." Ok - after I thought about that for a while I went to CB Plugin Management and found the default language plugin. Then I:

1. Opened the "Default language (English)" plugin.
2. Clicked on the OVERRIDES Tab.
3. Entered "[username] has updated their profile!" in the search box on the right side.
4. Once the KEY field was populated with the search result, I changed [username] to [formatname]. This worked and the subject line of the email now shows [formatname].
5. Tried to do the same with the body text string you provided (thank you) but the search returned "No language key or string matches found." It looks like it should be right so I'm not sure why that didn't work.

Anyway, if you can see what the problem might be for #5, great. Otherwise, this will work as the users real name is shown in the email subject line.

Thanks for all your help!
C

2 years 11 months ago #324925 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic website Profile Update Logger - template edit
You don't need to search. I've provided the language strings for you above already. If you still want to use the search then "has updated" will find the email bodies fine as it can do partial searching.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: abqmgweb

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn