[SOLVED] newbie not understadning something

14 years 3 months ago #121210 by aernoutzeef
[SOLVED] newbie not understadning something was created by aernoutzeef
I've only a day or two ago installed CB on my server.

I get stuck after the first step, which tells me this:
Uncompressing /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/pluginsfiles.tgz failed.

I then click on continue, after which I come to the screen where it says first step not done.

It has a problem with the plugins.tgz file.

My question now is: where can I myself install these files? In which directory do they belong?

I can't find the solution anywhere.

And yes, as said in the title of this topic, I am a newbie to CB...

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/01/08 18:52

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #121214 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:newbie not understadning something
I'm guessing the hosting has an issue.

It could be FTP method not working ?

Try turning FTP method off in Joomla, and/or check FTP settings there.

If that doesn't work, we would love to know what's wrong, if you could create us a a new joomla 1.5.15 install and try install CB, so that we can check what's wrong would be great. If that's possible and you reproduce the problem in that sub-server/folder with clean joomla install, you could PM me access to it ?

Once you could reproduce issue in sub-folder, finish installing manually:
1) delete that plugin.tgz
2) do an "expert upgrade" (see README_upgrade.txt file)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 3 months ago #121224 by aernoutzeef
Replied by aernoutzeef on topic Re:newbie not understadning something
Phew - it wasn't easy but I finally found a thread that helped me (that only took a few hours to find - what a waste of my precious time...!!! B) ):

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,58/id,71344/#71344

Would be handy if this was made part of the manual, under a section troubleshooting or so. I mean, if I pay for a manual, I'd actually like one that helps me install the software in the first place... :-)

I tried everything under the sun.
And nothing works.
Because the manual seems written for people who understand it.

I am an author, and lesson one in writing is: give a text to someone who isn't interested or experienced. if he/she understands it, the text is good.

Another addition to the manual, on page 20, would be to be clearer about the manual installation.
I tried everything there too. Install from the directory (error message: package), install from a url - something missing in the file...

Please understand that not everybody who pays what they pay to get the latest version actually understands everything that is not made very explicit...

Thanks anyway - the thread above and one other one helped me find the solution.

Great software.
Lousy manual.

14 years 3 months ago #121235 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:newbie not understadning something
Thanks for sharing solution, link and suggestions, always welcome.

My credo is to first try solving a problem before adding documentation to go around it... so We would of course still love to know why your site could not expand that file, so we can remove the problem you faced, to start with ;)

That seems to happen in 1 out of 10'000 installations from what I see, so having access to such a server which doesn't allow it would allow us to either find a workaround or at least to add a test showing a missing prerequisite.

The expert installation is documented in the README_upgrade.txt file. Did you see that one ? If you have any wording improvements on what wasn't clear, we would be very thankful to improve our texts. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 8 months ago #139025 by Word Warrior
Replied by Word Warrior on topic Re:newbie not understadning something
aernoutzeef wrote:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,58/id,71344/#71344

Would be handy if this was made part of the manual, under a section troubleshooting or so. I mean, if I pay for a manual, I'd actually like one that helps me install the software in the first place... :-)

I tried everything under the sun.
And nothing works.

Okay, I had the same problem with getting CB to work this link helped me get all the plugins to finally be installed. With my limited knowledge I believe - but by no means certain - that it isn't a permissions problem (although you still need to give the plugin folder a 755 permission as it uploads as 000 the contents of it seem to be correct) I think it is a paths problem in that it appears to be trying to install to the ...administrator/components/comprofiler folder which I now know to be incorrect. Why this should be I have no idea but maybe someone with more knowledge than me could figure it out and build a fix into CB.

FYI My ISP provides Parallels Plesk server 8.6 but some parts are locked away from my hands. I'm using the latest version of Joomla (1.5.20 at time of writing) I also used Fetch for Apple Mac to help with the FTP of the stubborn files.

I must say that CB is the only component that I've had so much trouble with and I have a lot of components on various websites. Are we likely to experience such trials and tribulations when we move to 1.6 Stable, if so I might just delay the use of CB.

CB is an excellent component spoiled by the fact you can't just lock and load!:pinch:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn