Thinking about letting CB go..question

14 years 1 month ago #123457 by slimgoody
Thinking about letting CB go..question was created by slimgoody
I have done everything that I needed to do as far as configuring my site is concerned. I bought the documentation and the template (coolness). But I came across jomsocial which seems to cater to my site more tha Cb. I know that CB has tons of plug ins but the frontpage isn't Social network friendly like Jomsocial. My site isn't based off article publishing which is where I'm noticing my problem. Is there anyway I Can change the LAYOUT of my coolness template or is this the basis of the template? I need for my community to power my site without me having to do much of anything.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #123460 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Thinking about letting CB go..question

Is there anyway I Can change the LAYOUT of my coolness template or is this the basis of the template?

You can certainly move tabs around in Tab Management to re-arrange the profile to meet your needs or are you wanting to move around tab positions?

I need for my community to power my site without me having to do much of anything.

Unfortunately this simply won't be the case for any website :laugh:. You'll need to manage and maintain your site as necessary, but once completely setup the management should be rather minimal. B)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #123464 by slimgoody
Replied by slimgoody on topic Re:Thinking about letting CB go..question
I don't think I'm saying the tabs. More like the frame. Like if you look at jomsocial, they have different sections on the frontpage for like newest members,uploaded videos etc. Is there a way I can create that on my front page. Instead of it having that one long strip down the middle?

14 years 1 month ago #123476 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Thinking about letting CB go..question
slimgoody wrote:

I don't think I'm saying the tabs. More like the frame. Like if you look at jomsocial, they have different sections on the frontpage for like newest members,uploaded videos etc. Is there a way I can create that on my front page. Instead of it having that one long strip down the middle?

Front page of what? A users profile or front page of your entire site? You can move tabs anywhere you like to achieve a more unified look; please edit your tabs in Tab Management.

You're also welcome to create an entirely new template for CB redesigned to appear as you prefer. Please see the files located at components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default/ for example on how to make your own template.

I don't personally use Jomsocial so I can't comment on its usage, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #123480 by rctelles
Replied by rctelles on topic Re:Thinking about letting CB go..question
While, I didn't really look into any other joomla components for the website that got me into Joomla, because CB meets my needs. However, I think no matter what the program is, it's going to require a learning curve. If one is not familiar with website development, and don't know at least some basics about PHP and how it works, they are going to have a hard time with any prepackaged website deployment.

That being said, I have seen some very powerful modules and plugins for CB, and most can be tweaked to meet even the most novice of users need.

I can only imagine the things I could come up with if I were more proficient in php scripting.

14 years 1 month ago #124436 by slimgoody
Replied by slimgoody on topic Re:Thinking about letting CB go..question
I can definitely agree with what you said. While using CB I must admit that I learned alot, it was more than I came with. But after learning what I have learned, I realized along the way what it is I need and don't need. So despite the negatives, there are many more positives when it comes to CB.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn