Creating Email Aliases

17 years 11 months ago #11211 by ricksneed
Creating Email Aliases was created by ricksneed
Greetings.

I want to add a component to the registration process which will allow members to select a unique email alias address using my domain, much like you do when signing up for a yahoo mail account. For example, when people sign up for a membership at www.FanClub.com, they can create a custom email address (UniqueName@FanClub.com) and any email sent to that address is automatically forwarded to their regular email account.

Example:
- My regular email is: rick@Ricksville.us
- When I join www.FanClub.com, I request Rick@FanClub.com.
- That name is checked against other member existing email addresses in database to avoid duplication. If not taken, then the name is processed or reserved for manual processing. If already taken, then get a message that says "rick" is taken. Try another name. Only one account can use that unique name at a time.
- Any mail sent to the new member email address, UniqueName@FanClub, is forwarded automatically to my regular email address at Rick@ricksville.us
- If I change email service providers, I can go to www.FanClub.com and redirect my email to my new email address.

Automated Set-up. Ideally, the process can be automated and the email set-up or changes can be made by the members as part of the registration process, through their profile or a special email part of the site. The selected email-name could be used as the members username on the site (minus the @FanClub.com part).

Does anyone know of a module that can do this. I think it would be pretty popular. Is there a work-around that I can do using CB's registration process? Can anyone create such a module or modify an existing registration module?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joomla Rocks!

Rick Sneed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn