Multilingual support

18 years 3 months ago #1330 by mikko
Multilingual support was created by mikko
Hello

I am working on a multilingual community site. Currently it seems that the combination of joomla 1.0.3, mambelfish 1.5 and CB RC2 cannot perform all the desired functionality.

What I need, is to completely translate the site so that also select-boxes are translated.

An example:

The site asks for nationality and offers several options. The problem is that translations Suomi (Finnish in Finnish) and Finnish are not considered the same value.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I created a feature request:
developer.joomla.org/sf/tracker/do/viewArtifact/projects.cb/tracker.feature_requests/artf2443

mikko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #1332 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Multilingual support
mikko,
CB 1.0 RC2 is not compatible with Mamblefish. This is because the current version of MF requires that all primary key fields are named id! The MF team had mentioned back in the mambo days that they were looking into fixing this.
However, RC2 is language friendly and will cooperate with MF in the following sense:

you can use _UE_ values when populating select fields in the backend and MF will work. So if for example you have a Yes/No field you can define _UE_LANG1_YES and _UE_LANG1_NO fields in the RC2 LANG1 file and _UE_LANG2_YES and _UE_LANG2_NO fields in the RC2 LANG2 file.

Hope this made sense.

18 years 3 months ago #1336 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Multilingual support
Ok, this makes sense. Actually I feel a bit dum that I did not notice this myself. I'd better subscribe to documentation and read the manual.

The useability of using _UE_ and editing the language files is not that good, but I guess this will do.

Any plans on improving the multilingual support?

mikko

18 years 3 months ago #1341 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Multilingual support
I personally think this method is very usable.
Anywhere in CB you can use _UE_ variables (in field titles, descriptions, tab titles, etc) and mamblefish will take care of language switching (check out my www.karpathiantree.com site).
If and when mamblefish fixes this mandatory prerequisite we will probably issue a mamblefish component xml file.
Until then - no plans.

18 years 3 months ago #1345 by mikko
Now when I think this further, it seems clear that you are right. Actually I was a bit entrenced with my opinion in translating everything with browser interface.

mikko

18 years 3 months ago #1447 by mikko
Is this feature also present in RC 1?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn