Login - Registration - Synchronization Plugins

18 years 2 months ago #3245 by rick
Let me start by saying I am not a coder and have no idea if this is possible.

My suggestion / question is: Would it be possible to create a plugin for Logins/registrations/Synchronizations? The idea being that everyone with CB would just use the CB login module but enhance that module with plugins. That way if you use lets say SMF you would just install the SMF login plugin and from then on when you login or register with the CB login mod you would also be logged into or registered and Synchronized into SMF.

There could be login plugins for all your favorite programs including SMF, phpBB, vBullitin, Zoom, Coppermine, etc, etc, etc.

One of the biggest problems I see right now seems to be, not so much the physical integration as you can wrap just about anything. The biggest problem I see is the login / registration / Sychronization integration. It is bad enough with just Joomla and the 3rd part app but when you put CB into the mix it can sometimes be a nightmare.

Please think about this and let me know if it would even be possible. My guess is that it would require Joomla 1.1 as it is supposed to add extra hooks for something like this. We really need some kind of a centralized login solution. With more and more 3rd party apps coming out that require authorization this is getting worse every day. I also think that this new architecture / feature would help to entice more people over to CB.

Post edited by: rick, at: 2006/01/13 22:37

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #4096 by rick
Well I am not sure why there is so little interest in this idea. Maybe the link below will ignite some interest. It is called "Com connector" and basically it is very simular to what I was asking for.

The idea is that once a module has been created for the component in question then when you login to Joomla you will also be logged into the component. This is also supposed to work with multiple components as well.

The thing is that a module would also need to be created for CB so that CB can be intigrated to this system.

I would like to see one of the core team members or equivalent to look at this and see if it would be easy enough to add this to CB. What would be really cool later is to see this added as a component to CB with the ability to easily add the other connecters as modules, plugins, or mambots.

I am not a coder but really think that this could be one of the biggest advancements of Joomla / CB

Please look at this and share your toughts.

forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,21066.0.html

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 2 months ago #4097 by rick
Dupe

Post edited by: rick, at: 2006/01/18 00:10

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 2 months ago #4099 by nant
Hi Rick.

We have already discussed this 2-3 weeks ago with Beat. I had also seen this thread and brought it to Beat's attention. Beat contacted the developer to start discussing integration with CB. I don't believe any progress has been made. I will check with Beat once more.

18 years 2 months ago #4107 by rick
Thanks for the response Nick,

Since it is open source I just thought that maybe it would be something to look at as a core part of CB in a later release. CB is already the best Joomla component for tieing things together but the one downside to all of this is the login/registration/synchro issues. And it is not just a CB thing, everywhere I read there are people haveing problems getting things to play nicly together. So if CB had something like this as part of the core and and extension of the plugin system to add intigration with a simple plugin this would be untouchable as the best product for Joomla bar none. Just kind of thinking out loud...

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 2 months ago #4112 by beat
Hi Rick,

I indeed got in touch with that person end of last year, but as both of us were busy at that time, it stayed there for now. We will get back in touch hopefuly soon.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn